Sickness in pup please help!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

Sickness in pup please help!

Post by sez88 »

Charlie was sick this morning, only once but there was ALOT of it...so much so that my OH went to pick it up thinking it was a rock!! :lol:

We thought he was ok then but about 10mins ago he was sick again, just walked over to his bed and was sick. :(
If we rub his tummy he growls a little, but seems fine other than that, still playing etc.

He had som eleftoverbeef mince yesterday in two of his meals and also a raw frozen pork bone. Thats all I can think of that could have caused it. The mince seemed fine but he has never had either before.
So what I want to know is should i feed him tonight? and if so what?
We fed him his usual biscuits and meat this morning after he was sick. But if there is something that will settle his tummy ill try it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks from a very worried sez
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
maximoo

Re: Sickness in pup please help!

Post by maximoo »

Was the mince seasoned/spicy? My boy stole a spicy beef pattie once & threw up his dinner & breakfast the next day in one HUGE pile of puke! :evil:
Dx: Gastritis. Doc said to give Mylanta for about 2 dys. Now I'm not advising you do it too b/c I am not a vet & couldn't tell you the dosage. If he growled that means his has an upset tummy. It sounds like gastritis.
Bland chicken & rice in 3 small meals for a day or so should help. If he continues to throw up then take him to the vet

How fast did he eat the pork bone? Did he gnaw on it or do you think he swallowed a hunk of it? It could be that the hunk wasn't digesting & since dogs have a built in survival reflex to expel things that wouldn't go thru--it was perfectly natural for him to hurl.

So give him bland chicken & white rice & let us know.
sez88

Post by sez88 »

No the mince wasnt seasoned with anything, just plain mince.
Thanks tho, ill give him rice and plain chicken. :)
Poor chap looks poorly now, no energy at all, which is not like him. :(
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Personally I wouldn't feed him until he is more himself. If it was the pork bone that irritated his stomach, then giving him food on top would just irritate it more. I would give it 24 hours to settle, and then try a little chicken, or scrambled egg, but just a little and then wait a few hours and give him a little more. Did he actually eat the pork bone? Keep a very close eye on him, if he seems more than just a little under the weather then speak to the vet, if he hasn't passed any stools today, then I would definitely speak to the vet - he might have swallowed a lump of bone that is getting stuck somewhere.