apples

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

apples

Post by meggit »

my 9 week old pup is a chewer ive seen on here that grated apples are ok for dogs could i give my pup a whole apple to chew on instead of me ive tried raw hide but he dosnt like it he has chew toys but gets bored of them when im not playing with him so i just wondered if this would be ok
emmabeth

Re: apples

Post by emmabeth »

You could, though they are quite sugary... so I wouldnt give just raw apples (you might have a squitty puppy!)..

Try, apples, BIG carrots, a big raw bone, Kong toys, a whole cabbage (he wont eat much of it but he will have fun shredding it) - rawhide is pretty horrible stuff really so its a good thing he isnt so keen on it, the cooked bones the pet shops sell are also fairly nasty, stick to raw!.

Otherwise, get soft toys, and stuff one in his mouth before he gets to you - yes hes likely to shred it but thats what dogs, especially terriers, do with soft toys... I really like Mister Twisters if you can get those, they combine a rope and a soft squeaky toy (if you can't there will be similar versions).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks for the info you want to see buddy running round with a carrot in his mouth hes running round with it having a quick chew then off running with it in his mouth again its so funny to watch and its great to see him chewing on something besides me thanks again
meggit

Post by meggit »

ok i never thought about the mess ive got bits of carrot every where :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If pup is big enough to get a whole apple in his mouth, use half an apple and then there is no choke risk.

Apples and pears are high in pectin, which tends to override the squit risk, but there will always be some that defy the theory :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

I have heard apple seeds are poisonous to Dogs. Raw carrots are great.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yeah... they contain cyanide! But you would have to feed buckets of just the seeds, probably rolled or ground up to actually release the poison, before you could harm a dog with them.

Since dogs teeth dont do 'grinding' the chances of them releasing the poison from even 1 seed out of an apple is pretty slim and theres not enough in a bucket of apples to hurt a dog.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thats Great. Now I can feed me puppy raw apples. She will love them.
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

Does that count for any breed? I ve read that boxers(sorry to drone on about it! :roll: ) shouldnt have apple seeds-- keep telling my boys to let him have bits of the apple they are eating,but never ever the core(!!!),dodge loves apples-so could he have a whole apple? Can he have a whole carrot too? He ll think its x-mas :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Dani xx
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I also like to give Murphy the broccoli stalks once I cut the florets off them. He goes NUTS over it - his eyes are huge as he's grabbing it from my hand. :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Boxers can have all the fruit and veg that are safe for other breeds :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
**liz**

Post by **liz** »

this is a very interesting post!! i am going to try Riley with a carrot tomorrow! you never know, it might give me a bit of peace for a few mins!!!!
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

Meggit your posts are crackin' me up! Your baby sounds very cute :)

Just gave Olive a baby carrot the other night. She ate it! Will have to get full carrots next time I'm at the store..
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupert knows the sound of a bag of carrots being taken out of the fridge and he can hear it from upstairs. I created a monster when I started giving him carrots :lol: He used to love apples but went off them a while back.
SarahLou

Post by SarahLou »

My English Springer Spaniel used to LOVE carrots! Munched them with me as eagerly as if they were steak! And broccoli, & many other raw and cooked veg., like yams (just don't give them onion or grapes/raisins, avocado) just remember if they fart, you gave it to them :lol:
My 7 month old rescue pup likes yams, cabbage, pears, raspberry (likes to chew carrots but doesn't actually eat them but rather just plays with it) I just limit how much of these fiber-rich foods I give her, otherwise I can have a poopy puppy...