Exercise & rainy days

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Exercise & rainy days

Post by ***Melissa*** »

It's been raining for a week now & according to the wheather forecast it's going to rain next week as well. (We actually have a hot, dry climate, so I don't know what's up with all this rain - not that I'm complaining, we need it). So we weren't able to go on walks, play 'fetch' or 'chase' or any of the other active games we always do. We don't have enough space inside to play these games, so any ideas on how to exercise my doggies when we can't play outside?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Re: Exercise & rainy days

Post by Mattie »

How bad is the rain to stop you walking your dog?

We just put our waterproofs and pink wellies on, some dogs have waterproof coats and off we go for our walk. I used to ride horses in the rain as well, that was fine until the rain ran down your back and made the saddle wet. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, they don't melt, so wrap up and get out there. :) My lot have just come back soaked, had a good rub-down with a towel, and are drying off by the fire. We'll go out again this afternoon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

LOL, okay okay I'll put on my big-girl-panties & go out in the rain... :D

Seriously, the rain isn't that bad, but I'm a little afraid of the thunder though
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Rain is supposed to be good for your complexion, think I would wait until the thunder had gone before going out, I don't like thunder either. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

It's the LIGHTNING you have to be worried about. But of course lightning follows thunder. I live in the lightning capital, so I never go out when theres lightning.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

LOL, lightning then :)
Any suggestions what I can to when there's LIGHTNING in the air? - Striker also don't like lightning, so it's difficult enough to get him outside to wee & woo when the weather's like that, not even to mention go our for a walk.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

When theres thunder an lightning...... probably best to do mental puzzle solving stuff and clicker training indoors really..

When its JUST raining...... yes, waterproof-big-girl-panties and go puddle sploshing!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Marley

Post by Marley »

It's been raining non-stop in my area also (normally an arid area).

We have done the following:
  • Walk in the rain (my dog hates it)
  • Puzzles and trick training
  • When I'm going crazy, we've gone to a couple of pet stores (dogs are allowed inside). My dog totally loves going to the pet store.
  • We've also had a couple of play dates with friends who have larger homes (I live in a small apartment).
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Several years ago, the two dogs I had at the time were going NUTS because it was a rainy weekend. I finally said enough, put on some boots, grabbed an umbrella, and drove the dogs up to the fields where I still walk the dogs I have now.
Those two dogs had a blast! An hour later, we were all spattered with mud, but it was worth it! :wink:
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx for all the replies :D

Just to keep you updated, this weekend I waited until the lighting was over, and we went for a walk (in the rain). Striker LOVED it, and even though we (Striker & I) were freezing when we got home, it was worth it. Shame, he's whole little body shivered when we got home, but I could see he really enjoyed it. :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I put coats on my dogs when it is cold and wet, they have double fleece for when it is cold and waterproof when wet. This is Ellie in one of her double fleece coats.

***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh, that's very nice. We don't have a pet shop / something similar here, so I'll have to see if I can find any on the internet. He has a coat that he wears in winter-time, but it's not waterproof. It's summer now, and a normal day will be about 30 degrees (celcius). With the (unexpected) rainy weather it was about 15 degrees - VERY cold for us, LOL, maybe because we're used to hot & sunny days :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They won't need coats if it is as warm as that - dogs overheat very easily. Same with the rain - they are waterproof naturally :lol: so unless old or thin-skinned (like Mattie's dog in the picture) their own coats are completely fine for them to go out in.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If they are warm enough whilst running around outside but shivering when back in and doing nothing - a fleece coat can help them dry off quicker - if you can get hold of some fleece its pretty easy to make some even if you have veryyyyy dodgy sewing skills! There are patterns all over the internet to be had for free or just figure it out for yourself on a big piece of paper.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant