Raw Food Diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Raw Food Diet

Post by Erica »

Also no grapes and very limited citrus. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
bendog

Post by bendog »

Of course Erica thank you I was trying to think and my brain was going "no onions or ....." and couldn't fill in the blank! I knew there was something else I'd forgotten to mention and it was grapes/raisins!!
Secret Someone

Post by Secret Someone »

*excited*

So, Pan has been on a raw food diet for a few days now. His breath no longer stinks, his coat is smooth and shiny and his poos are tiny and firm!

Right now he's on chicken wings and chicken thighs, but we'll be branching out soon. He's often had raw meat/bones as treats, so they're not entirely new to him. He's also having a small amount of yoghurt per week, some raw eggs and tinned sardines/pilchards. He regularly eats vegetables but I plan on blending them now.

It's all going wonderfully! I have one question though. It may have come up but so far I'm only on page 14 of this topic so have a few more to go. :P Once he has eaten his meals, he's really content to curl up and sleep for an hour before walkies. When he's up and about he's really really bouncy and full of energy, but for the first time ever he's content to sleep after eating, whereas with kibble it's a struggle to get him to rest (which usually means he throws up his food). Looking at my dog, this seems like a really good thing. He doesn't look in any way uncomfortable... it looks like me when I've had a satisfying meal - I like to rest for a while contently before moving around a lot. His unwillingness to rest after food has been a constant problem, so I'm really amazed. Does this seem good to the rest of you or a bit worrying?

The really hard thing at the moment is that I don't have a working freezer. I'm buying meat every couple of days so that it's as fresh as possible, which seems to be okay for now. Really looking forward to getting my freezer in, though!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's excellent news - well done you :D and the sleeping is normal. This is how dogs should be (apart from puppies getting zoomies after dinner :lol: )

Good luck with finding a freezer - makes it all so much easier. Worth perusing the free-ad papers or even putting an ad. in yourself.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

The other day in the grocery store I saw split pigs feet on sale. It was the whole cloven foot (just split in half lenthwise), nails and all. I wondered if this would be something I could feed to Piper. If so, I'm not sure if it would be considered a meal or just a recreational chewing thing. Also, it seemed to have a really thick amount of hide on the foot. Can she (should she) consume this? I'd love to hear what you other raw feeders think of this. Thanks guys!! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Suzette wrote:The other day in the grocery store I saw split pigs feet on sale. It was the whole cloven foot (just split in half lenthwise), nails and all. I wondered if this would be something I could feed to Piper. If so, I'm not sure if it would be considered a meal or just a recreational chewing thing. Also, it seemed to have a really thick amount of hide on the foot. Can she (should she) consume this? I'd love to hear what you other raw feeders think of this. Thanks guys!! :D
My vet's partner actually recommends pork trotters as a good RMB, hide and all (high in collagen!) To the Chinese people (like me!), pork trotters are really a very yummy dish, broil them in peanut soup or braised in soy sauce... yum! =P
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Depends who you ask re the pigs feet. Some will say they are too boney and are therefore rec bones, others will say they are a meal but don't feed too often. If Piper does ok on boney items then go ahead as a meal, if not then perhaps offer as recreational. They take some work so even if she chews with gusto you might still need to top the meal up with something meaty when she gives up chewing :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

I give them as a meal and just feed a boneless meal (eg tripe or heart) the next day. It's a lot of chewing for a small dog and piper will be pretty full and tired afterwards.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thank you so much ladies for the replies. I had a feeling it would be okay, but needed to ask. :wink: I think my biggest concern was the thick, tough-looking hide on those pig's feet. But I'm going to give them a try and see how she does with them. :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

First few times I offered them to Ben he wasn't interested. Now he will have a nibble but won't eat a whole one.
But he's not a massive fan of pig tails or ears either.

The others have no problem with them.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Scout will turn her nose up at trotters too :) Well - she did throw it around the room a bit as a toy - but no chomping yet.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Yeah, honestly I'm not real sure Piper will eat them either but I can buy them so inexpensively that even if she does turn her choosy little nose up at them, I'm not out much money. :wink: :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If the dog doesnt like them, they are delicious - used to eat them a lot in my poverty days. Simmer very slowly and eat with bread and butter and mustard.

Not food for a first date though :mrgreen:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Even if she just likes to chew them a bit it makes a good rec food. And will keep a good while in the fridge if you just cover with a cloth rather than put in a plastic box then they're stinky in a few days.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Nettle wrote:If the dog doesnt like them, they are delicious - used to eat them a lot in my poverty days. Simmer very slowly and eat with bread and butter and mustard.

Not food for a first date though :mrgreen:
My mom used to occasionally cook pig's feet for my step-father. As a kid, it always freaked me out to open the freezer and see those little cloven hooves in plastic wrap staring back at me! :lol:

Thanks for the storage info Clare. Since I doubt Piper will consume them on her first attempt, this will come in handy. :D