Raw Food Diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

Re: Raw Food Diet

Post by leslie123 »

We got a present of a whole deer yesterday. I read that Femur bones are good for recreational bones, is that right? The processor mentioned about looking out for hookworm from the deer though, so now I'm worried. We already got rid of those when we first got Sulley. Is this something to be concerned about?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wonderful present!!

Freezing for 3 weeks or so will kill any worms.

I don't feed load-bearing bones ever, and am wary of spine and rib bones from deer because deer are usually quite old when they are shot, while domestic food animals are generally rather young when killed. Older bones are harder bones - while I know what my dogs can manage, I don't know yours. If it is a yearling deer, the neck and ribs will be okay to feed, but keep away from the leg bones.

Feed all bones with a good covering of meat.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Nettle wrote:Wonderful present!!

Freezing for 3 weeks or so will kill any worms.

I don't feed load-bearing bones ever, and am wary of spine and rib bones from deer because deer are usually quite old when they are shot, while domestic food animals are generally rather young when killed. Older bones are harder bones - while I know what my dogs can manage, I don't know yours. If it is a yearling deer, the neck and ribs will be okay to feed, but keep away from the leg bones.

Feed all bones with a good covering of meat.
Hmm.. This was an 8 point buck, so for sure not a yearling! I'm guessing around 4 yrs at least. I don't know how long it takes them to get points on their antlers? So will we be able to give him any of the bones? Someone else had already requested the antlers too. We may be getting another deer this season and if its a buck, I'm hoping to get the antlers. I really am looking for something he can gnaw on for a while. He loves to exercise those jaws and try out those brand new large adult teeth! I've been giving him carrots and broccoli as you suggested and he loves it, but makes fairly quick work of it. He's also got the standard chew toys, kongs, etc but he really likes variety, not to mention his toys are getting a bit shabby looking. :lol: (Amazon time). I'm still working on my husband to switch to raw. The dog food bills get more pricey each time we go, so that might be the catalyst that changes his mind, especially with this windfall of great venison for free!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, you can give him bones that are not leg bones, and use your judgement with the ribs and spine, leaving plenty of meat on the bones you do give.

LUCKY dog :mrgreen:

runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi there

Just a little note to my favourite forum. I raw feed on the grass out the back and I try to check for mushrooms as much as I can. I have no control over where he pulls his food and takes it too.. Anyway, I was playing out the front with my dog and a rag toy. The toy landed very close to a bright orange small mushroom. My dog would not go anywhere near the toy and seemed very nervous with the mushroom. He backed right off and would not collect the toy. so I took it and it's gone in the wash. Upon checking, the mushroom is a blackening waxcap - poisonous.

Even though I don't feed in that area, I'm thinking how I can allow him to eat inside now.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Sorry about this.. my book says this mushroom is poisonous but elswhere I have seen it as edible but I guess since all musrooms are bad for dogs anyway.. avoid putting meat down around your garden mushrooms!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Even outside, you can put a sheet or towel down and then put the bone on that. The dog may still carry it away - that's dogs - but if you provide a 'den' for it to be carried to, that can help. A closed-in darkish area is often very appealing and not expensive to construct. Or you can have a crate outside and cover it at mealtimes.

Most dogs won't touch fungi, but you can never say 'never' where animals are concerned.

runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes I was thinking of getting a den - a kennel - Good idea.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Some questions:

1) How do you find the right balance between calcium and phosphorous on a raw diet?
2) Do you need to give a multivitamin with this diet?
3) Since you're feeding raw, do your dog(s) get a lot of worms?
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

2) No, you don't. Maybe with sick or old dogs (but then you will supplement a sick or old dog's diet no matter what diet he's on) :wink:

3) No. Freeze meat for a month before feeding.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

1) Raw bones already have the perfect ratio of calcium/phosphorus/magnesium/potassium. Isn't Nature cool? :D Poultry that has been intensively reared has a slight imbalance in the ratios, so while it is fine to feed raw meaty chicken bones (I feed a lot of it) it is important to feed bones from other meat as well, especially red meat.

Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm not really been happy with any kibble the girls have been on. I've noticed when I've added real "human" food to their bowls (scrabbled eggs, parsley, olive oil, etc.) that their coats are much softer, eyes are brighter, and they're not as moody. I'm leaning towards home cooked or raw feeding at this point, but since my parents pay the bills, I doubt that's gonna happen.

If you don't mind answering more:
1) What kind of bones would you recommend for toy breeds (8-11 lbs or 3.6-5 Kg)?
2) Betsy is an aggressive chewer (needs those durable nylabones), can chewing on a raw meaty bone hurt her teeth?
3) Can raw feeding lead to an obstruction in the intestines?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

1) Any non-weight-bearing meaty bone. Our small terrier chomps through lamb ribs like a combine harvester! Chicken wings are good too.

2) Not if it has a covering of meat. Chewing on dry bones can cause wear on teeth - which is why we raw feeders bang on about meaty bones. The meat pads the bones and also acts like dental floss.

3) Highly highly unlikely BUT you can never say "never" where animals are concerned - so we raw feeders make sure we don't feed bones like big marrow bones where chunks can be bitten off. If your dog is a bone - bolter, feed the bone after the main meal so it isn't so hungry. With chicken wings, you can smash them up with a blunt instrument ( think of someone you really don't like :twisted: ). Other reasons dogs bolt their food - if they feel threatened by the presence of other dogs or strange people, if people have taken their food off them in the past.

Raw bones are easily digested by dogs - cooked bones easily cause blockages.

Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

This is probably a huge request, but is it possible to have like a subcategory under the "Health, Diet, and Excercise" for people who want to ask more questions about raw feeding?

By the way, I like reading this thread, ALOT of good information. :)
chay

Post by chay »

bump!

so i am going to switch gypsy over to raw...i read in this thread that the recommended amount to feed is about 2 - 3% of body weight, yes? so...gypsy is only about 3kg (pom/chi) so i would only be feeding her 60 - 90grams over two meals a day...does that sound right?

so it would be:
breakfast: 40g bone/meat mince with vege mash (one day a week alternating with some liver/offal)
dinner: 1x chicken wing with some vege mash (alternating a few days a week with lamb ribs to get the red meat quota)

just want to check i'm doing it right, if anyone could confirm? love this thread!