Chronic Wasting Disease (North american)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

josie1918

Chronic Wasting Disease (North american)

Post by josie1918 »

This is for readers in North America only, PLEASE those of you feeding wild game (elk, deer etc.) as part of a raw food diet, understand we have what is called CWD or chronic wasting disease. The exact cause is not known, but it is believed to be a prion (mutated protien) transmitted, they believe from animal to animal by urine, feces and saliva. The effects upon humans and other animals eating the meat from diseased animals is NOT known yet. In advanced stages, the deer will show signs of lethargy, chronic weight loss, and salivation. Just want to give everyone the heads up.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's good to know-- thanks for posting. Now that you mention it, I recall reading in my local newspapers that the department of wildlife services has been working to study, control, and eradicate this problem among our deer in Utah.

The Fundog household does not (yet?) hunt, and even if/when we do, I won't feed raw. My girls will always get their wild game cooked, if they get it, just to be safe.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I think this post is good information for everyone around the world, as there are a lot of members from all over the world using this website, to know because this disease may not be confined to the North American Continent.

Thanks for the information!
josie1918

CWD

Post by josie1918 »

Honestly, I am not even sure the meat would be safe if it was cooked.
Since the studies have not concluded what effects the meat has on people or animals who ingest it. So far, this disease has only been found in North America, I don't know, but it may have something to do with the gross over population of deer, antelope etc. The effects on these animals are to the central nervous system, and they have the spongy spots in the brain similar to mad cow disease, but this disease is NOT mad cow.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Can anyone send me infomation on this disease? Today is the first day of deer season in Pennsylvania and this disease seems to be a big concern according to one of my friend's who is a state game warden here in Pennsylvania. So any information you can send me would be greatly appreciated!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd like to know more as well, please.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I decided to do a quick query with google, and found this link. There are more links and pages to look at for more in-depth information, to be sure, but this one pretty much sums it up:

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.main

And judging by the looks of the doe pictured, I don't think I would be feeding any of that to my worst enemy, much less my dogs or myself! :shock:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Here's one more link, from the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention).
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oops-- sorry, I'm getting daft in my middle age:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cwd/
josie1918

cwd

Post by josie1918 »

I know this won't help the folks in the U.K, but for those of us in the states, I would recommend checking with your game and parks or wildlife departments (each state calls it something different) They would have the most up to date information as well as the information being geared to your specific area. I truly don't think this is a panic situation, I just wanted people to know it is out there, and due to the over population problem this year, it seems to be more common. The point is just be careful, if you see deer that are not acting "normal" drooling, lethargic, thin, I probably would not want that one on my barbecue pit.
josie1918

cwd

Post by josie1918 »

One place EVERYONE can go for current information concerning this disease, go to www.avma.org and in the search bar type in cwd. It has a variety of articles on this disease. Again, for the U.S. I would again recommend you check with your states wildlife dept. The CDC really doesn't do much until the disease is reported in humans.
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

Oh, this is good to know. I haven't personally eaten venison in years and have never fed it to a dog, but I have, once or twice, caught Emma eating deer droppings (more often rabbit droppings). Yuck! Since we live in a wooded area, I've known her to sniff them out from under leaves and take a quick bite before I can even see what she is sniffing at. I'll have to be extra vigilant, as it looks like this disease--if it could ever be transmittable to dogs--would be passed along in the feces.
monib1969

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease (North american)

Post by monib1969 »

Yeah, it's not panic situation, but is still out there and something to be aware of. Out here where I am, in S Dakota, which is a big gaming area, Fish and Games periodically goes and "removes" any deer or antelope that they find are behaving in an odd or sickly manor. So other states that have a huge influx of hunters yearly may do the same as well.