7 month Heeler still chewing on wood furniture?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Is it a food lack or attention?

Lack of some vitamin or supplement to replace wood chewing?
No votes
ADD?
No votes

Total votes: 0

SophieTucker

7 month Heeler still chewing on wood furniture?

Post by SophieTucker »

Just am very curious what she might be missing in her diet to take her to chewing on our wood furniture and even through the fabric on the couches to get to the wood.

We had a red Queensland for almost 19 years and she did chew when she was a pup but a rawhide bone always took care of that.

Our new one is will take the rawhide and chew on it but the second we aren't paying attention she chew on the furniture.

I am sure she needs attention but we do have to do things like homework, laundry etc so we can't pay attention to her 24/7. She sleeps in the house w/out chewing but during the day... geez!

Is the wood chewing a sign of diet or just attention?
Thanks all!
Danielle
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As I said in the other forum, chewing is a NEED. So you give your dog safe things to chew, and prevent her from reaching things you don't want chewed.

It doesn't matter what previous dogs or anyone else's dog did :) - this is the dog you have now, and this is the dog you are working with.

In your place, I'd put her in her crate with lots of chewy things, when she can't be directly supervised, and make sure she has lots of activity with you when she is out.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
monib1969

Re: 7 month Heeler still chewing on wood furniture?

Post by monib1969 »

Hi,

If she EATS the wood it is called PICA, or eating non food items. PICA in dogs can be caused by other things besides something lacking in her diet. I'm not too familiar with the heeler breed in great detail, but some breeds, like our German Shepherds are prone to pancreatic enzyme disorders where there is a problem absorbing nutrients. This is fixed with a simple additive given to food, unfortunately for life. Some other issue can be IBS (irritable bowel), endrocrine lymphosarcoma, but at 7 months would be a little young, diabetes, which he should be too young for that as well, polyphagia (overactive appetite) or simple iron deficiency. You can tell your vet that he is eating wood, if she is truly eating it and not just chewing it like a toy, and they can run complete bloodwork to see if there is a health issue that needs to be dealt with.

Once he's fine healthwise, I would redirect her into appropriate toys. For voracious chewers, I really like the Everlasting treat ball, or a big raw knuckle bone keeps them busy for days. Also if you cannot supervise her, I would crate her. otherwise this chewing on nonappropriate items will become an 'ingrained' behavior and will be harder to break as time goes on. Or better yet, keep her leashed with you when you do your chores. Use it as a training tool. When she goes with you and behaves, mark it, and reward her. If you turn it around on her and suprise her with treats for being good while following you or being good while in a room with you and you sproradically mark an action and reward it will get her thinking 'wow, I just got this awesome treat for laying here and doing nothing.'

So marker training is in order, or clicker training. She does something good, like laying down for a few minutes, you 'mark' it with a YES or clicker and give her a treat. If she sits, you mark (YES or click)and treat. I use YES because I always have my voice, and to keep my house dogs on their toes I will periodically toss in a YES and throw them a treat for doing nothing but laying in their place for a bit, or at my feet when I'm working etc. This way they never know when to expect a treat and they ALWAYS behave because they are waiting for that treat. It's kind of like reverse psychology. You just need to be one step ahead of your dog. if you know of a time when she chews more, expect it and be a step ahead before she actually starts to chew so you can redirect her.

Hope that helps!! Good luck!!
MaiasMom

Re: 7 month Heeler still chewing on wood furniture?

Post by MaiasMom »

Some people are not going to think this is a good idea but it has worked for me. Alum powder, you use it in pickleing. Make a thin wash and paint it on the wood. It tastes really nasty. Not to worry, it won't hurt the dog or the wood and it will wash off easily after the dog has learned that chewing the wood tastes nasty. If you don't like alum powder wash, try white vinegar wash. I agree, give the dog something they really like to chew. I am not an advocate of a raw hide bone cure all, fill a gong with peanut butter. If it were me, I would not leave the dog alone, if you leave the room, take the dog with you. This is a dog that is still a puppy at 7 months. You would not leave a 7 month old child alone either.
The best days are spent with my dogs.