Problem need help AND info

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nickkrd

Problem need help AND info

Post by nickkrd »

Hello,
My puppy is a 3 month old shih tzu. When ever she poops she starts to eat it right away. We have tried pills, pepper, and more.

Why does she do that? SHe gets enough food all the time 3 square meals a day.

How can i prevent it?
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

What is she eating? (brand, type of food)
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Too much food can cause this problem - the food comes out not quite digested properly and so still (to the dog!) tastes great, and dogs naturally are loathe to leave stuff that has some nutritional value to them.

Another reason is more man made... causing a huge fuss when a pup has an accident can make them worry and can cause them to clean up after themselves to avoid this fuss. Of course when they do that... you fuss more... and so they get faster at it!
nickkrd

bbbbb

Post by nickkrd »

i want so she doest eat it anymore not just distract her from it also sience diet dry food what she eats
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Adding Matties response to this same topic posted in another area of the forum.
Mattie wrote:Most pups eat their poo but grow out of it, you are making it into a big deal to her which will make her do it all the more.

You can get something from the pet shop but it didn't work for my dog, some say give your dog pinapple but I know dogs that loved the taste and it made the problem worse.

There are many reasons why a dog will do this, I suspect with my dog it was a long course of antibiotics that killed off the microbes in his gut and by eating his poo and his brothers and sisters, he was putting those microbes back. Once I stopped getting stressed by this, he became much better.
And Nettle said:
Nettle wrote:Take her out to potty on a long line. As soon as she has finished, call her to you and make a big happy fuss and reward. She is now too far away from the poop to eat it.

Take her even further away for some happy time, then indoors. Then come out again and clear up the poop.

Following the advice Nettle offers will not always be required - just do this until she is out of the habit of eating the poop.

Whilst you are using the long line to let her out to toilet you can also look at whether you are over or under feeding, or if this food doesnt entirely suit her. These are the most likely reasons for a dog eating poop, along with the owner giving the dog a reason to attempt to clean up and hide the mess (usually this is when a dog poops indoors though).

She is not going to stop eating poop on her own though, you will have to use this method until she would rather come back to you for a reward/fuss/happy time than go and eat the poop. This could take several weeks or more.