HELP!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

uptownshopgirl

HELP!

Post by uptownshopgirl »

I have been feeding my dog Hanley, who is a 4lb male maltese, chicken. I'm reading everywher that it is not good to feed your dog people food. I'm okay with switching to a dog food but which do I choose? I bought blue buffalo today but now read everywhere that dogs are getting sick. The most recent post as of July 2009. What do I do? I have since bred Hanley to Sissy and now have, Haskell. I tried to start him out on the Eukanuba dog food but of course he wanted chicken like Hanley. I am going broke feeding my dogs chicken right now but fear that the alternative could cost them their life. I want my dogs to live a long and happy life but can they do this on dog food that is being recalled? I have fed my 16 year old cat Iams, Fancy Feast wet food and Purina One dry cat food the last year or two. I've noticed with my cat that she is always hungry so I fed her Chicken as well. Hannah, my cat, though will eat any food. My dogs on the other hand are going to be a bit more difficult to train to eat dry dog food. I sincerely hope I can get your opinion Victoria as I am truly desperate to do what is right for my dogs and cat. HELP!

Abby
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm not Victoria but I an VERY sound on canine nutrition :D

Those who tell you people food is bad for dogs may be selling commercial dog food themselves and have their own pocket at heart. :wink:

Processed people food is bad for us and dogs (but we can choose to eat unhealthy food now and then or all the time - the dogs can't) but fresh meat, fish, most vegetables, eggs and most fruits are okay for dogs. Variety is very important.

We have a ton of treads on this - have a read through and then come back with your questions. There is more than one way to feed a dog healthily without breaking the bank.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mselisabs

Post by mselisabs »

There are plenty of good dog foods out there, you will just need to do some research. There are lots of "raw" kibble which has no grains and high protein - some names are Wellness Core, Innova Evo, and Nature's Variety Instinct, including many more. You WILL have to do some research and decide what you are comfortable with (ingredient wise and $$ wise.) It sounds like you truly want what's best your your dogs (and cats) but it will take a bit of time to learn about doggie diets. And it is essential you do - feeding JUST chicken is depriving them of nutrients that they need, and that dog food provides.
However, don't expect them to start eating dog food just like that. You can start by mixing a little kibble in with chicken or other home-cooked meals, add wet food to kibble, etc.
Good luck!
Stephy'sKingShepherd

Post by Stephy'sKingShepherd »

There is a really good website called

DogFoodAnalysis.com

it ranks commercial food and discusses the ingredients in each food. For example corn wheat gluttean is really bad for dogs it is the left overs when all the nutrients for human food have been extracted, it is a filler...so is beat pulp. It tells you what the quality of protein in each food is and whether or not it is by product or good meat.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would never say that beet pulp is a very good food but it isn't as bad as Stephy'sKingShepherd says.

Benefits of beet pulp in dog food
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Orijen is an awesome food and has had no recalls, is grain free, has no artificial colors or dyes, by products, wheat, corn, etc.

If you want to go totally "all natural" go with Natures Logic. They do not use ANY artificial or synthetic chemicals/vitamins. All the vitamins/minerals in the food come from natural sources.

Its expensive but for a small dog wont be that bad. Really great food.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If you are happy sourcing and feeding raw meat then its fine - dogs actually dont know that some foods are people food and some arent, they know what tastes good, what doesnt, what they get given often and what might be worth begging for.

If we sat around eating dog food, they would want that just as much as they want our sausages and our burgers.

If you do feed raw meat though, as Nettle says variety is key - ONLY feeding chicken is no good, you have to feed a variety of meats, some offal, some bone, some veg.. the addition of fish, raw egg, fruit, veg, herbs etc is also good.

I feed five dogs this way and there is no way id be able to afford the equivalent in grain free premium dry food. Just couldnt do it, but by buying in bulk, seeking out good offers and freebies, my dogs eat a fantastic diet (far better than mine!) for a comparatively low price (around £100 a month... but thats five dogs which include a Deerhound!)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

This is a dumb question, but what exactly is "offal?" I think I know, but I'm not really sure. Is that like guts and gizzards and stuff most of us think are disgusting, or is it people dinner leftovers/table scraps? Or is it all of the above?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Offel is things like kidneys, liver, heart, lungs etc.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, thanks. That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't entirely sure. Afterall, a lot of folks like to eat those "spare parts," but those same people would never admit to eating "offal," lol. Kind of like when I get my girls chicken livers and gizzards, and Mr. Fundog complains because I'm getting "treats" he would like to eat, especially for the dogs! We go the rounds on that one repeatedly, let me tell ya! :roll: