Diamond? Recalls...?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Diamond? Recalls...?

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Have some concerns... I recently got Gunner off of Purina ONE large breed puppy and onto diamond naturals large breed puppy. Only to find out from just about everyone around me that I need to be getting him off of Diamond quickly. My vet mentioned that there's no guarantee that the bag is going to be the same every time and I need to get back to either Purina ONE or iams, or a few other popular brands. A friend of mine that breeds and shows Aussies said that Diamond had a lot of recalls in the past year and mentioned getting him on eukanuba.

I'm thinking about just going back to Purina ONE because I've never had any problems with it. We've always had strong healthy dogs that live 15-16 years while feeding that. Was wondering about this eukanuda food?
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
josie1918

Diamond dog food

Post by josie1918 »

I have worked in the veterinary field for over 12 years. I know exactly what the dollar mark up on Hills and Eukanuba are. I also personally know of 3 "retired" small animal vets who feed NOTHING but Diamond. A lot of vets simply don't know any better (It is shocking how little time is spent on food and nutrition at veterinary colleges) I think you will be just fine on Diamond. I have taken the food down to dry matter base and the formulation is a very sound, good diet for a very reasonable price. I can also tell you one of our clients is a WORLD class Quality breeder and she feeds Diamond, her dogs are simply Excellent. Hope this helps.
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

I dont recommend Purina, Eukanuba, or Diamond...

Rule of thumb.. if you can find it in the grocery store 99% of the time its no good.

Diamond is just ok... you can definatly get better.

If you are going to feed Diamond brand food then go with Taste of the Wild. Its inexpensive, high protein, and has not been recalled.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

I can't find diamond or eukanuba in grocery stores. I have to go to Tractor Supply to get them. I'm currently feeding eukanuba. Already paying $30 a bag and I can't afford to feed these two something that it any more expensive than that and $30 a bag is already expensive.

I got on here before and asked about a better quality food to feed that is affordable and diamond was one that was mentioned, I put Gunner on it and he didn't do well on it. The dogs are doing great on eukanuba right now, and eukanuba even has food specialized to certain breeds when they are adults. If I am to change foods again I would end up going back to Purina, I've NEVER had a problem with it. All the dogs that we've had growing up have been on it and they've all been happy healthy dogs. Sarge (golden) lived to 16, and we have a welsh corgi right now thats about 14 and she's on purina. Purina is the one food that every vet we've been to highly recommends. They even recommend it over the science diet that they sell at the vet clinic.

But for now, the pups are happy and healthy on eukanuba large breed puppy.
Have an Amazing Day,
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Oh and i was told not to feed taste of the wild because it is for high energy/working dogs. That if I did not have hunting dogs, herding dogs, etc. then that food shouldnt be fed to them.
Have an Amazing Day,
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Yeah but you are wasting money on Eukanuba... it is incredibly over priced considering its all garbage.. honestly, wasting your money.

I've done extensive, hours upon hours of research on dog food. I do have some clue what I'm talking about. Diamond is ok.. I wouldn't feed it.

Diamond Large Breed Puppy Naturals - $41 for 40lbs $1.01/pound
Ingredients:
Lamb, egg product, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein 27
Crude Fat 15
Moisture 10
Crude Fiber 3
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.2
Calcium 1.2
Phosphorus 1.2
Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Eukanuba Puppy Large Breed - $59 for 40lbs $1.45/lb

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Meal, Choline Chloride, Marigold Extract (source of Lutein), DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (minimum) 26
Crude Fat (minimum) 14
Moisture (maximum) 10
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5

Ok... so obviously the Diamond is better but not much..

Here are some better options...

Evangers Chicken Dry Food $41/33lbs $1.24/lb

Ingredients:
Chicken, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Potato Product, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Crest, Spinach, Oat Meal, Catfish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flax Seed Meal, Egg Product, Monosodium Phosphate, D/L Methionine, Lecithin, Fish Oil, L-Lysine, Salt, Kelp Meal, Potassium Chloride, Natural Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein, not less than 26
Crude Fat, not less than 15
Moisture, not more than 10
Crude Fiber, not more than

Premium Edge Large Breed Pup - $41 for 35lbs $1.20/lb

Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, corn gluten meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), white rice, fish meal, potatoes, millet, egg product, flaxseed, natural flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 27
Crude Fat (min) 15
Moisture (max) 10
Crude Fiber (max) 3
Omega 6 (min) 2.6
Omega 3 (min) 0.4

Canidae Chicken Meal $33 for 30lbs $1.10/lb

Ingredients:
Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein 26
Crude Fat 15.5
Moisture 10
Crude Fiber 4
Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 3.7
Calcium 1.2
Phosphorus 0.9
Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 0.5
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
Wes

Post by Wes »

Keeping in mind too that the higher quality foods will last you longer as you won't need to feed as much of it. Before I researched foods, I fed my Rosie three and a half cups of Purina twice a day. She also pooped about three times a day. Compare that to my feeding her Blue Buffalo (the highest quality food in my area) - she eats two cups a day and poops only once. So the same size bag will last you longer and you save on bathroom duty! :D
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

KellyAnne, I remember your earlier post, when you were asking for advice on dog food. I do recall that you mentioned then that not only was your budget limited, but the kibble selection in your area was very limited as well, and that is why you had initially decided to feed you lab puppy Diamond.

I think, that given your budget and the limited selections around you, you have to do the best with what you have. Certainly, Eukanuba is heavily marked up (alongside Science Diet) and I am in agreement with SpringerMom and some of the other posters here in that I don't particularly like Eukanuba or Diamond (with the exception of Taste of the Wild). However, if your dog doesn't seem to do well on the Diamond and he seems to do better on the Eukanuba--and Eukanuba is one of the only other alternatives available to you--then you might have to keep him on Eukanuba. Individual dogs will do better or worse on different types of kibble. My Emmy, for example, was on Merrick for a while and it just didn't seem to settle with her. She seems to do much better with Innova, though I consider Merrick to be similar in quality to Innova.

That said, if you can now or at some point access a better quality brand of food, I would recommend trying something better than Eukanuba. It is ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Just the other day, I picked up a bag to examine at Petsmart and saw that the first several ingredients on this particular bag included chicken by-product (I think this was the second ingredient) and corn gluten. And yet, the bag would have cost me about as much as I pay for Emmy's Innova. So I think that if you are going to spring for Eukanuba, you can get a lot more for your money--if you can find it.

Regarding Taste of the Wild, I consider it to be pretty high quality and inexpensive, particularly for a grain-free kibble. I have rotated Emma on it before and she did quite well. She is not yet a year and a half and is, I would say, only a moderately active dog. She certainly is not a super athlete, though we do go for long walks and/or run around at the dog park every day. I think if your dog is moderately active, he would be fine on Taste of the Wild.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Royal Canins great.
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

I do want to add that Diamond foods doesn't guarantee that its fish meals aren't preserved with Ethoxyquin, a carcinogen. In fact, it seems quite likely that TOTW, Chicken Soup, and other Diamond products (which, I think, also include Artemis and Canidae--Diamond manufactures a surprisingly large number of dry kibble products) contain fish meals preserved with Ethoxyquin (the company cannot guarantee that its suppliers don't preserve with Ethoxyquin. That is apparently "proprietary information"). Only fish meals, like salmon meal or ocean fish meal, would be preserved with Ethoxyquin. Plain fish, like salmon or herring (not in meal form), would not be a problem. So just be aware and I, personally, would avoid the blends that contain heavy fish meal content.
ruckusluvr

Post by ruckusluvr »

I just wanted to mention that I have been feeding Diamond Naturals and Taste of the Wild exclusively for three and 1/2 years. NEVER had any problems.
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/black_eyed05/Ruckus/Copyof100_0440-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/black_eyed05/Lynn/100_0278-2.jpg[/img]
ruckusluvr

Post by ruckusluvr »

about the ethoxiquin, I would never recommed TOTW pacific stream because of that.
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/black_eyed05/Ruckus/Copyof100_0440-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/black_eyed05/Lynn/100_0278-2.jpg[/img]
monib1969

Re: Diamond? Recalls...?

Post by monib1969 »

Hi,

Yes regarding Ethoxyquin just so ev1 knows. In the USA ALL fish meals are still preserved with ethoxyquin. THis is some ridiculous law on the books that has yet to be changed, but pet food manufacturers do not need to state this on their product. This is another law that really needs to be changed. If a product comes to the pet food manufacturing plant already intact and preserved, like fish meal, then the pet food plant does not have to state what it is preserved with. This is for dog food, cat food, fish foods and exotic critter foods etc...

So, if your pet food was manufactured in the states and has fish meal in it, it is 100% preserved with ethoxyquin. If it'smanufactured overseas you can find out what the laws are in your country regarding pet food preservation. But I believe AAFCO applies the same standards (or lack thereof) overseas, especially for US originated foods, like Hill's, Iam's Purina etc.
ruckusluvr

Post by ruckusluvr »

my views on ethoxiquin have changed.
I feed TOTW pacific stream now.

I found out that those studies about ethoxiquin causing cancer were done ON RATS!
Orange juice and artificial sweetener also causes cancer in rats!
and rats are not dogs.
I have determined that ethoxiquin being horrible and deadly is all hype. but thats just from my personal research.
PatchesMomma

Post by PatchesMomma »

I've been feeding Patches Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice dry food. He seems to be doing very well on it, I've noticed he's not as hungry as before, his skin on his stomach was red and inflamed, no it isn't, and he's not begging for human food as much. I was going to buy Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, but our feed store didn't have it in stock, and the only other dog food they had was basically the same thing I could get at Walmart or the grocery store. I say if that's all you have in the way of good food in your town then may I suggest buying dog food online? There are a lot of online pet stores that will deliver the dog food you want to your home.

I will never feed Patches anything from the grocery store again, I plan on feeding Patches better quality food in the future when I am able to afford it, but for now he seems to really like Diamond Naturals. I read that the regular Diamond dog food is the one that got recalled, not Diamond Naturals, the regular Diamond still has corn and by product meal in it.

Linds