Foster Mom Dilemna

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jellybean

Foster Mom Dilemna

Post by jellybean »

Hi, all. I'm new. here's my problem:

I am fostering a mutt (Chihuahua/spaniel/?) for an animal rescue organization. I am supposed to care for her until she finds a forever home.

This little dog will not eat dog food. I've tried a variety of wet and dry. I have tried adding shredded cheese, doggy gravy, hidden bits of hot dog .... No go. She eats 2 or 3 bites then abandons it and will not even try a bite the next time. She was skinny to begin with. Some people can insist that the dog will eat when she's hungry - well, she was clearly hungry- and watch her starve herself until she eats whatever out of desperation. I cannot! After several days of watching this dog get skinnier, I had enough. I boiled chicken and organ meats (hearts, liver, etc.) and she ate with a hearty appetite. I could not fill her bowl fast enough. She is eating well now; has a LOT more energy, and she is filling out nicely.

BUT...

The rescue organization is annoyed with me because, they say, an adoptive home will not cook for her. They say I am spoiling her. I have tried mixing in some dog food with the people food but she eats around the dog food or leaves the bowl entirely if she can't. I don't see why she should be starved into eating what she doesn't like just for someone's convenience. I don't have the heart to do it.

What should I do????? I am happy to cook for the creature. It's really not hard to do and it costs less than commercial dog food. More importantly she is thriving on this diet. But the rescue organization is unhappy with me.

I would adopt her myself but I can't pay the adoption fee.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think..

Start saving up the adoption fee!

In the meantime, the rescue sort of have a point about cooking food but regardless of that... cooked offal is not a balanced nor healthy diet for a dog.

I do agree with you on the concept of starving a dog to force it into eating something it does not like, thats just not kind at all.. but...

Dogs we all know have fantastic noses - they actually DO know within a sniff or two, if they like something or not. Dogs really dont eat a few mouthfuls of something willingly, if they actually really dont like it.

So if shes sniffing, and then eating a few mouthfuls, she probably doesnt actually detest the food shes being offered. Its just not her absolute favourite.

Dogs learn really quick that if they hold out for something nicer, they will get it. Once they do get sometrhing better they learn even more to hold out for nicer things.

Get hold of a really quality dog food, something like Orijen or Taste of the Wild, something that you know is full of good stuff with minimal filler/bulking ingredients or cheap energy sources.

Put down half the portion you think she needs per meal, twice a day and take it up again within ten minutes.

If after a week of actually sticking to that she is REALLY not eating (and by that i do mean no treats, no snacks, if you do training then use the kibble as the treat) then she actually doesnt like it.

If she eating a mouthful or three and then wandering off and begging for treats elsewhere then shes gotten into the habit of having extras added to food and now expects it.

I have to say, even the above at times does not sit comfortably with me and I wont advise people to do it with any of the lower quality 'budget' foods. I feed a raw diet made up of a variety of meats, bones, a small amount of offal, fruit and veg with the occasional bit of tinned fish or a raw egg thrown in.

My dogs are also fed according to the amount of 'work' (ie exercise) they are doing so they are never over fed, at meal times they are actually hungry (youd be surprised how many dogs are NOT actually hungry and are fussy because they are OVER fed).

As a result, my dogs eat a variety of things and it is very rare they refuse something. If they do then its a sign to me that something is wrong, either with the food or with the dog.

One of my dogs was previously very fussy on dog food and when i switched to a raw diet it became apparent to me that no complete dog food particularly suited him, they all gave him a low grade tummy ache and runny poo's. On a varied raw diet he eats everything he is given and my dogs are as happy now with a treat of a bit of raw fresh veg as they are with a piece of steak (my friend today was confounded that my dogs were begging for her apple core! shes never met a dog who eats fruit before!).

It is important though to get to the bottom of the fussyness because it can lead to a dog severely limiting their diet to a dangerous level and just as only eating a mouthful or two of dog food is bad, so is only eating cooked offal (high quantities of certain vitamins that it is possible to OD on).

Once you do get a dog into eating regular meals at set times and into the habit of cleaning up everything in the bowl, then you can add scraps and extras - the trick is to add them before you put the bowl down. Dont offer the meal 'as is' and then when it is turned down, add tempting extras. Put them in at the same time.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Many of the dog food companies will send samples or coupons to try their food. I called Diamond dog food co which makes Taste of the Wild and Chicken soup for the dog's Soul and they sent me samples of every flavor! Wellness also sent me samples. Orijin/acana can't b/c they are in Canada. Anyway if you buy a good food at a reputable place just keep th receipt and they will take it back if dog won't eat it. Keep trying I'm sure you'll eventually find a good food for her.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Like Emmabeth said in her very first sentence, "Start saving up for that adoption fee!"

But if it's any consolation to you, my English Setter, just adopted from a rescue last February, it turns it, is a gourmet connesuer (sp?). While my Annie prefers the processed "bologna" version of dog food, Dottie much prefers home cooked. And since Dottie had been starved before she was rescued, she really cannot afford to go hungry for more than one or two meals. Especially since her high energy output just causes her to burn off everything she eats.

So this is what I do for her, and for Annie now as well: I save leftovers from our own dinners and stir them up really well into their dry food. I especially like to save the leftover broth from cooking vegetables, warm it up, and pour that over their food. Not only does it taste better, but now they get all those vitamins that are leached into the water from the vegetables. The other night we had a pot roast, with vegetables and gravy, etc. I cut up the little bit of meat that was left, and scooped portions of the "stew" into freezer pints-- I actually only filled each pint half full, then added more water to the fill line, to help dilute the gravy, since people gravies often have too much sodium than is good for dogs. Then when I feed the dogs, I heat up a pint, and divide just one pint between the two dogs' bowls and stir it in really well.

Since I started doing this, I've noticed that Dottie is far more likely to not only eat all of her food, but if it is one of her favorites (the pot roast is one of her favorites), she will lick her bowl clean. Annie doesn't seem to be quite so delighted with Mom's home cooking, but that's too-bad-- I know it is far better for her than that processed canned stuff.

Another thing I do is just get some very inexpensive ingredients (giblets or ground turkey) and make a broth, add some vegetables, and make a soup. Then freeze it into pints. For your little dog, you can also freeze these yummy soups and gravies into a ice cube tray, then store the frozen cubes in a freezer bag. That way each portion is pre-measured, and all you have to do is warm it up before stirring into the food.

As I'm sure you've noticed, there is also a sticky thread for posting our recipes and other food ideas on this page. Do have a look, and be sure to add a recipe or two of your own.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

Wow! I'm impressed and grateful. You have given me some great ideas. I will follow through.

I suspected all along this little dog was terribly spoiled before she was abandoned or lost or whatever. She is terribly dependent and clingy, follows me from room to room and can't stand my being out of her line of sight. I'm working on that, successfully, I think, but it takes time to change her emotional state. She has never been trained. She didn't even know "sit" (now she does). She begs when I eat (no luck, I ignore her) and she wants to be picked up a lot.

This is the first time I've had a dog since childhood when we lived in the country where dogs roamed freely. Nevertheless, I watch Victoria's show religiously and even bought her book. She inspired me to volunteer at the SPCA and at the police department's animal shelter.

Thanks again.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

No worries, its a fine line to tread I think, putting your foot down about food but not starving them into eating something they hate.

A skill you also learn is when to pick a battle, most battles can be avoided but from time to time one will crop up... is now the time or can it wait a few weeks?

I do wish people would think about it a little more when they create a fussy eater because these dogs are not happy and often not well, starving themselves to try and get something nicer, picking out just the tastiest bits and not then eating a balanced diet..

Try and introduce more foods she will eat into yoru cooked diet and do try to introduce some raw meaty bones.. because she will need these (chicken wings will be fine and you can scald the outside with boiling water from the kettle if you want to, to reduce the potential for germs/bacteria on the outside of the meat).

Also try to introduce some vegetables, blended and frozen into icecube sized portions (pick the sweeter flavoured ones, so carrots, apples, some peas and a little bit of spinach, rather than loads of spinach and other bitter things) - mixed in with a little cottage cheese or raw egg shes likely to like that a lot..

Also if you like and you can get them, little pots of growing herbs like basil, thyme, peppermint, rosemary etc... offer her those and see if she wants a nibble, dogs will often self select the herbs that will help them!

I would serioiusly see if you can afford to keep her, if it IS just the adoption fee you need, can you pay it in installments? It seems she needs a special home and it seems like she found one... so it sounds crazy to me if she cant stay! (unless you dont actually want/cant actually have a dog full time right now)
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

Emmabeth, thank you. I am going shopping today with a list of vegetables. Yesterday, I got her to eat Caesar brand dog food. I put it down in the morning; she took two bites then left it. I picked it up after 20 minutes and refrigerated it. I put it down in the late afternoon when she started going after the cat food. She finally ate it and got no human food that day. Same thing this morning. I am still working on mixing dog food with human food.

About keeping her... I'm not sure. I met a saint yesterday while sitting outside at a coffee shop. She fell in love with Topaz and sat down with us to chat. After a while, she asked how much the adoption fee was. Then she left. She returned in 10 minutes with $200 in cash for me to adopt her saying that this dog was destined for me. I protested that I could not accept it; but she embarrassed me in front of a lot of people into taking it for Topaz, her new "god dog". We made friends then and there; but now that adopting Topaz is a real possibility, I have to think about carefully and give her money back if I don't. I have to think whether I can do right by her in the long term. Either way, some people are amazing. They make up, perhaps, for the horrible people in the world.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I have suddenly become an emotional nut lately and that made me tear up! How sweet of that woman!!!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

If a complete stranger gives you $200 then it was meant for you & Topaz to be together. I mean how coincidental is that? Go for it, you have the patience & committment & now the $. :) Couldn't be any clearer! 8)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Everyone join me in this chant: "Keep the dog! Keep the dog! Keep the dog!" :lol: Call it a sign from God. Don't the Catholics have a Patron Saint of Animals? You never know; she might end up saving your life one day, the way you have saved hers.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Some dogs are meant to be with us, I have found this with Ellie my Staffie, I even had a good home for her, the homecheck was spot on, it was an experienced dog owner, she was also a trainer and had fallen in love with Ellie. Something happened and Ellie didn't go.

Others wanted her but there was always something wrong and the long she stayed with me the harder it got to let her go. In the end she became mine and I have never regretted it, she probably would be dead now if she had been rehomed, very few vets will give a dog a permanent tracheotomy which Ellie now has.

It sounds like this is meant to be, this dog needs you and only you, adopt Topaz, you can then feed as you want instead of the rescue. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wow.

So yes, that takes away the 'i cant afford her' issue... have a really good think.

It is tempting to say 'get her get her'... but have a good think about this as it is a long term commitment and making compromises and sacrifices about the things you can and cannot do in your life.

Those of us with loads of dogs already have forgotten what its like to be able to go anywhere at the drop of a hat, stay out all night on a whim etc etc (not that I ever stayed out all night on a whim... much....).

I think its worth those sacrifices.. but then, ive never really been bothered about holidays, i dont have much in the way of family to visit either, id quite like carpets in my house but welll... its not the be all and end all of life... having a decorative fruit bowl in the living room would be pretty but i can live with the fruit living up on top of the microwave... and the fridge being duck taped shut to prevent theft...

Not saying everyone has to do this for every dog :lol: some of mine are errrrrrrrrm an acquired taste shall we say!

What im saying in a very waffley way is, do think about it, but I agree with the others I think this is one of those 'meant to be' situations.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Fundog--yes there is a patron saint of animals/pets. Saint Francis of Assisi.
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

Thank you all for your support. I am both sad and pleased to tell you all that Topaz was adopted today by a wonderful family. When I saw them, I knew I had to let her go.

I had to go to an adoption event today -it's mandatory for foster mom's once a month. I was hoping no one would take her and I was ready with the $200 in case there WAS someone. Ladies and gentlemen, this family came along and I felt that Topaz would hit the jackpot to be adopted by them. It's a family of 4. 2 adults a teen aged girl, and a soon-to be teen aged boy. The mom's a stay at home mom. When I told them about Topaz' eating issues, the mom said she wouldn't mind cooking for Topaz at all. I went with them to shop for Topaz' needs. We exchanged information and I am invited to come visit tomorrow. They are so obviously good and responsible people!

OK, so it's hard now and I am all teary and missing Topaz. Who knew I could get so attached to a dog so fast! But I feel certain that I did the right thing for her. 4 people to love her, someone almost always home, and money to spare for whatever needs or emergencies may arise. Her future is more secure with them and Topaz will soon love them as much as she loves me. I expect to be dog sitting for them from time to time.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That was a brave and selfless thing you did. It is hard, even heart wrenching, to give up someone you love. But it sounds like you did the right thing. So now what will you do? Will you take on another foster?