RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Post by Shalista »

Hey not to revive a dead thread bit IS pinned. So last year for Christmas I made a huge batch of homemade dog treats for all the dogs in our family. They had oats, applesauce, an shredded carrot. My problem is that I'm unsure I can find the recipe again this year and I kind of want to try something new. Any suggestions? They need to keep for awhile and they must be vegetarian ( nephew pup is allergic to meat)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Re: RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Post by Fundog »

This works best with the "Bake-a-Bone" or other mold type, but even a waffle iron would do nicely.

2 cups flour, 1 Tbsp baking powder, 2 Tbsp powdered milk (optional)
Blend dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl, and make a "well" for the wet ingredients.
1 egg, 1 Tbsp. oil, whatever else you want to add (baby food, yogurt, applesauce, grated cheese, peanut butter, berries, crushed mint, etc.) If you use peanut butter, you won't need the oil. You could leave out the other "stuff" and just use the powdered milk for "milk bones."

Gradually add water while stirring until mixture reaches the consistency of waffle batter.

Drop by spoonfuls into the mold and bake for 8-10 minutes, or pour onto a waffle iron and cook like you would waffles.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Rory

Re; RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Post by Rory »

Its so easy & simple to make. I tried it 2 days before & my ROXY loved it. Thanx fundog :D
CharityStansbury

Lexi's Peanut Butter, Pumpkin, and Bacon Playdough

Post by CharityStansbury »

So my little Maltese, Lexi, has to take antibiotics twice a day for six days and a 1/4 of a Benadryl once a day. It took about 2 days for her to figure out that something was hidden in the peanut butter that the vet told me to hide the meds in. After a rough morning in which Kyle had to administer the medication since she wouldn't take it voluntarily, I decided to make some edible playdough to hide her Benadryl in and it worked!

These measurements are not exact, but they are close

1 Tbsp peanut butter
1-2 tsp plain, mashed pumpkin
Flour (oat, almond, etc...)
1/2 tsp of treats, torn into small pieces

I used bacon-flavored treats, but you could use any treat that your dog enjoys; however, you might want to use a treat that s/he gets very rarely.

Mix the peanut butter and pumpkin in a small bowl until combined. Add flour until the mixture is no longer sticky. Work the treats into the dough using your hands. Roll into a ball and store in a sealed container in the fridge. Grab a pinch of the dough, stick a pill in the middle of it, and roll the dough into a little ball around it. I didn't really roll it very much and Lexi wasn't buying it, so I rolled it some more until my palms were a bit oily. This seemed to make it even more yummy smelling and Lexi took right to it.