RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Post by Leigha »

When we first got our pups I tried to be a good dog mommy and cook their dinner for them, but I'm a teacher, and depending on the night I'm not home until 7 or later and then have grading or planning or whatever to do once I'm home so I got pretty lazy and just quit.

Since the new school year is getting ready to start I've decided to work on my time management and come home at a decent time and NOT do work at home, so I have more time for my pups, my fiance and my wedding planning.

I'm going to start cooking for my boys again (even the fiance :D ) so I'd like a list of all the foods that dogs SHOULDN'T have. I've heard they shouldn't have garlic or onion or whatever else. I just want to make sure that whatever I'm feeding them is safe for them.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

DogzRule1996 wrote:Here's a simple recipe for dog biscuits.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup milk

First mix the dry ingredients (baking powder and flour) together, then mix the peanut butter and milk. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes and allow to cool. They should be a sandy colored brown, and if you try one, should taste faintly of peanut butter. Store in an air tight bag and you may refrigerate or freeze.
I just made these for my chihuahuas. Chessie, Merle and Nova like them. Cocoa can't decide yet.
Chessie: fawn 9-year-old Chi
Merle: wolf sable 6-year-old Chi
Nova: long-haired Red 3-year-old Chi
Cocoa: chocolate 3-year-old Chi
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I occassionally will get Max a 49 cent hamburger from McD's. So I break it up into little bits (I throw away the bun) & stuff 1/2 with kibble & bacon/cheese spray into a kong. Then nuke it for 12-15 sec so its warm and melted. He thinks I'm the best mommy in the world! 8)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Maximoo, if you know someone who works at McDonald's, Burger King, or any fast-food restaurant, you might want them to get you some of the meat patties they have had to waste and reheat them as you use the meat patties!

I know when two of my neighbor's kids get off work, they'll bring some to my house and I'll reheat it with some other treats, let it cool, then feed my dog. Boy, does she LOVE it!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Good idea! 8)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Leigha wrote:When we first got our pups I tried to be a good dog mommy and cook their dinner for them, but I'm a teacher, and depending on the night I'm not home until 7 or later and then have grading or planning or whatever to do once I'm home so I got pretty lazy and just quit.

Since the new school year is getting ready to start I've decided to work on my time management and come home at a decent time and NOT do work at home, so I have more time for my pups, my fiance and my wedding planning.

I'm going to start cooking for my boys again (even the fiance :D ) so I'd like a list of all the foods that dogs SHOULDN'T have. I've heard they shouldn't have garlic or onion or whatever else. I just want to make sure that whatever I'm feeding them is safe for them.
Garlic and onion aren't bad in small quantities. In fact, sometimes I put a little garlic powder on Murphy's food, smells more tempting!

No mushrooms. Apples are fine but not the seeds. No chocolate, no alcohol, no caffeine. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

When's the wedding? :D (Congrats!)
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

May 29, 2010, and I wish it would hurry up and get here so I can do stuff. This far out, I feel like there's not a whole lot I can do...

Anyhow, thanks for the advice about the food. We've been doing kibble with a spoonful of wet food mixed in. Jason's half Italian, so garlic and onion are like a staple in our house and are in pretty much everything we eat so now I know it's okay for them to have a little bit I feel better. I'd been holding off on a lot of it because I wasn't sure. I don't mind cooking for them, but cooking two whole separate meals was kind of daunting. Plus I'm a kind of messy cook, so I was not looking forward to doubling my after dinner cleaning duties.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

There are cookbooks that have recipes that are for both human & dog.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Have any of you heard of these cookbooks for preparing meals for dogs?
  • PupSnacks: 35 Delicious and Healthy Recipes to Bark Home About by Stephanie Mehanna and Robert S. Goldstein.
    The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious an Delicious Recipes Your Dog Will Love by Jonna Anne with Mary Strauss, Canine Nutritionist, Shawn Messonnier, DVM, Veterinary Consultant.

It is so tempting to get these books, because from some of the recipes in these two books make my mouth water! :lol:
lonneymiss

Post by lonneymiss »

Thank you so much for the suggestions on here. I have two six month old puppies ( a Bernese Mountain dog cross with a lab and a black lab) who love their kongs but have been a bit bored of the kong fillings recently. Am now off to the supermarket to buy some bits and bobs to get cooking later. Many thanks xx
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I gave my girls a taste of the southwest for breakfast this morning:

1/4 lb. cooked ground beef, 1/4 cup sweet corn (leftover from the family's dinner the other night), 1/4 cup cooked carrots, 1/4 cup cooked rice, 2 Tablespoons black beans. I sprinkled a dash of garlic powder over it, and stirred it all up. Yum, yum, yum! They loved it, and they are full and satisfied.

*The above measurements is the approximate portion size for one dog, 40-60 lbs.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

By the way, did you know....

Legumes, such as beans, are an excellent source of both protein and fiber (black beans have the highest fiber content of all the legumes)? They are also naturally low in fat and calories!

They are an excellent healthy food choice for people, but I like to feed them to my dog also, because the fiber content helps her to feel full and satiated, as well as providing an alternative protein source in addition to meat.
Fundog

Re: RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Post by Fundog »

I just accidentally discovered something new about my girls' preference for vegetables: They are not particularly fond of fresh, raw broccoli, and will even pick it out of their food and drop it on the floor. They are okay with cooked broccoli, but would rather not-- and if they can, they will pick it out.

BUT... they LOVE raw, FROZEN broccoli! And it lodges itself into a kong very nicely. :D

So, if as to yet your dog has not seemed particularly keen on vegetables, but you haven't tried frozen yet, give it a try. Vegetables have lots of good vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and they are fat-free and low in calories, so make them pack on extra pounds. A really good alternative treat for the dog that's on a reduced calorie diet. My girls also enjoy frozen peas and frozen green beans. (They don't like carrots, though)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Sam B

Post by Sam B »

Having recently got our first dog (a lovely black lab called Archie) I found kongs to be an absolute Godsend for keeping him amused. In fact, in the first few weeks that was how it received most of his daily food allowance.

As a result, I set up a website with our favourite recipes and other ones I've picked up from other owners. The site is http://www.kongstuffing.com

I'd love to add any recipes you have to the site and would appreciate any feedback on the ones we already have. Plus, anything you can suggest that Archie will find more tasty than our skirting boards would be great to know about!!! :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I quickly took a peak at your site, what a great idea!

However, there were some items that I was unsure of in your "never feed to a dog" list - like hot dogs and white rice. I've given white rice to my dog (with boiled chicken) so he could have some bland food when he had upset stomach. Many of us also give our dogs hot dogs as training treats. Is there a particular reason those were on your list?

Anyway welcome to the forum and the only thing I would suggest is more pics of Archie please! :D There was only one pic of him in the about us page. He's lovely! :D :D