Poor Doger

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

spydre

Poor Doger

Post by spydre »

Okay, when we were cleaning my bedroom, I noticed there was on particular stuffed animal of mine that Dodger kept nosing at - so we figured Dodger wanted a stuffed animal. Hubby went out and got Dodger this little bitty sqeaky squirrel. It took Dodger about 4 hours to get it so I had to take the squeaky out. Over the next day, Dodger completed the squirrel autopsy - literally the thing was split top to bottom of the abdomen. So my 12 year old gave Dodger his koala bear. It took Dodger a couple days to get into it, because, after all, no squeak. But within a day of actually getting interested in it, Dodger decapitated it - and was proud of it. :) I thought that would be the end of the koala. Oh, no. After a day or two of just carrying it around, Dodger decided that all of it's limbs had to come off - one at a time. He had such fun with it. The body, of course, got split in two again. But we definitely have two arms and two koala legs floating around here. He's playing tug with them, or just chewing on them - I don't think he has the heart to unstuff them and split them. My 12 year old is loving it, because it's the best time he's had with Dodger since we got him.

Dodger also got around this time, a new squeaky toy to replace the squirrel. It's basically, a tennis ball, except the middle section is long - so it's two tennis ball ends, with a tube. WEll, it squeaked. So Dodger set about uncovering one end - he pretty much chewed the tennis ball fuzz on one end. That was within one evening. He still has lots of fun with it (especially tug), and will carry it around.

Just wanted to say, it's hilarious watching him with these two things. He'll play with them, sleep on them, etc. It's like he knows if he does too much more damage they will go away, so he doesn't break them all the way, he just enjoys them the way they are now.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I know what you mean! Both of my dogs love ripping apart stuff toys, squeak toys, and tennis balls, too!

wvvdiup1
spydre

Post by spydre »

I do have to say, it's hilarious to watch him walk around with a leg or arm from this thing in his mouth. It looks like he has a critter tail sticking out of his mouth!
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have to say I have had to develop a 'taste' for the half chewed grotty things Errol likes to trundle about with.

I do generally prefer my soft toys complete with eyes, arms, heads, legs, and stuffing.... but Errol disagrees.

His favourite toy of all time is 'Lamby'.... a soft toy lamb that is a head (no ears) three limbs (no tail though)... attached to a completely limp de-stuffed middle.

He carries Lamby about a lot, though sometimes abandons him in the garden and then will have a strop about it, and has tobe let out to find him.

He's also hilarious first thing in the morning, we shut our bedroom door during the day so that nothing awful can occur up there... so Errol has to choose that days toy/s and bring them out with him. He dashes about like a mad thing pickin gup a toy, considering it and then ditching it in favour of another!

Usually he does choose lamby, though sometimes he will try to cram a few toys in his mouth at once! (Im not totally mean, if most of the toys are in teh bedroom ill boot a few out so he isnt totally toyless all day!)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I have a toy box in my living room for my dogs to retrieve their toys when they want them. That way, when I come home, I don't have to see these "sad eyes" looking at me, because they wanted a certain toy but it is in my bedroom and I have the door shut or they left the toy in my van.

What is interesting is that sometimes when I come home, they'll start putting a couple of their toys in the toy box! :D But the rest of the toys I have to put away in addition to the stuffing they leave on the floor. I swear it's like cleaning after kids! :roll:

wvvdiup1