Bored dog.... need help

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dustyhelp

Bored dog.... need help

Post by dustyhelp »

My dog, dusty(part blue heeler/alaskan husky/american eskimo)(medium sized, about 9 years old) is always bored. I havent been able to walk him the past few days as I have been really sick. On most days it has been to hot (100+) to walk him. I have been wanting to do activities with him so he can get some exercise and so he wont be bored, laying around the house 24/7.

If any one can give me any ideas i would be highly grateful.
Thanks
My dog runs, i fall behind. I run, I still fall behind.
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You could throw toys around in your backyard or in your house, or you could bring him to an indoor dog park if you have one near you.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Read the other exercise threads, especially the one on mind games. If you have a treadmill or can bring him to one you can teach him to walk/run on it to burn off energy. On days you are not well can somebody petsit or can you take him to doggie daycare? Or invite some friends over to play with him is he good with kids? If so invite them over too even if for an hour so dog can play with someone.
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

sadly, hes not a dog who plays with toys. and i havent heard of any dog park in my area but i will definately look.
(sigh) Dogs.......
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

unfortunately, he was not socialized as he should have been when he was young. We adopted him when he was about 5 years old and he is aggressive towards most dogs. There are only 1 or 2 dogs he can get along with. I have also tried the treadmill method, but he is afraid of it. all e will do is sniff it and back away. He also doesnt play with anyone, he just lays around the house. except for when we got for a walk... at that point it seems he has all the energy of a puppy in an adult dogs body. lol
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

As maximoo stated, mind games are great. You could put a treat under a cup and allow him to experiment around and see if he can flip the cup over and get the treat. You can add more cups and make it more challenging.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

i have tried that as well. he just sniffs the cup and walks away. he is a smart dog but he doesnt want to work for treats to often. When i am home with him, all he does is whine and pace through the house. I try different things with him but he doesnt want to do alot of it
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Try something else instead of treats. Maybe a tiny bit of chicken or something. If that doesn't work then try other mind games.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

ok thanks =D
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I would literally die to make a dog happy. Just looking at those sad faces kills me.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Is there anywhere you could take him to let him run off-leash? Some BLM land perhaps? I bet he'd love to chase rabbits-- that'll tire him out. You can take a camp chair, a bowl, a lot of water, and a book to read. Let him go, and you just sit in a chair and enjoy nature for a bit-- that's what I do with my dogs.

Does he swim? Do you have lake or reservoir fairly close by? Take him down there, and see if he enjoys doing water retrieves-- not all dogs do, but even just splashing around in the water would be good for him.

If your dog does not get along well with other dogs, agility may not be the thing for him, unless it is just in your own backyard, considering there are a lot of other dogs present at the agility meets.

Another thing to consider is teaching him to actually be useful: teach him to do some things that can sort of help you out a bit, like picking things up off the floor and bringing them to you. Or get him a light pack with pockets to carry small garden tools (hedge clippers, trowel, spade). Or hook him up to a makeshift travois or small basket so as you are pulling weeds or clipping, he follows you around with the basket for the weed pile (so you don't have to keep getting up).
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

i know.... its hard to make him happy... the only things that make him happy are walks, eating food with out having to work for it and lots of attention
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Then that's what you should give him, lots of attention!
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

one question. Whats a "BLM"? and sadly he is deathly afraid of water. He wont get near the pool, hates getting rained on, and will break his legs trying to get out of his harness in order to get away from a running hose. So,. i dont think a swimming is an option. Im not really sure if there is an open area where he would be allowed to run free. i have a huge park near me (well in front of my house lol) which has a huge open field, but the city doesnt allow dogs off leash and i cant trust him off leash. If i could find a large fenced in area i would happily let him off leash. He loves chasing squirrels in our park, but since it has a rule where i cant let him off leash i cant let him chase them except for every now and then when he is completely focused on it and theres no one else around. lol =p
(sigh) Dogs.......
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

and making him useful like carrying around clippings or weeds could come in handy. I have clipped the bushes in our front, back, and sides and i have to ask my sister to help clean up. she doesnt appreciate it much but maybe he can help a bit... thanks for the idea! =D
(sigh) Dogs.......