Bored dog.... need help

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You live in Texas, and so do I. There should be a dog park somewhere near you. I have one about 10 minutes away.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

BLM stands for Bureau of Land Management. These wilderness areas are also known as "Public Lands" in the U.S. They are open wilderness areas, and free to be on (no fees), with many various uses, with few restrictions, depending upon regional location (for example, in a dry desert region, camping and off-roading might be limited during fire season). ATVs are encouraged to limit their adventures to pre-existing trails, rather than make new ones. Hunting during season and with appropriate permits is allowed in these areas also. So is target shooting, no permits required. And the leash law is never enforced, though if you run into people (not likely), then common courtesy might cause you to momentarily recall and leash your dog. But that's about it. It's a great option for folks with dogs who need to run wild occasionally.

To obtain a map to these public lands, go to your city's Bureau of Land Management office (the place where you might obtain a Christmas tree permit in December, to cut a real tree). You can look it up in the very front pages of your phone book, under your city government listings. Call them, and they can give you instructions to their office.
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

o cool! are they usually fenced in areas? i doubt they are but just curious
My dog runs, i fall behind. I run, I still fall behind.
(sigh) Dogs.......
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Uh, no. Any fencing you might run across borders private property-- such as an Indian Reservation, or private hunting reserve, or a ranch. Do make yourself aware of those borders, since it is illegal to trespass/camp/hunt/ATV/ etc. on an Indian Reservation without permission from that Tribal Nation. Inadverdently causing damage to those lands (starting a wildfire) will get you into BIG trouble, with huge fines, and jail time!

So if you do take your dog out to these areas, you need to have a pretty reliable recall, unless you are prepared to sit down and wait your dog out (and who knows how long that might be, lol?) These areas do tend to go many miles off the main highway, into rugged country (four wheel drive recommended), so you won't need to worry about traffic.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Otherwise you could just go to a fenced in dog park.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

ok thanks everyone! :)
(sigh) Dogs.......
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

DogzRule1996 wrote:Otherwise you could just go to a fenced in dog park.
Other posts note that this dog is fearful/aggressive so don't do this unless there are no other dogs there.
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

ok. While I walk him, just in the park near my house, if we see a dog, should i ask the owner if my dog can greet their dog?
(sigh) Dogs.......
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You shouldn't unless you have full confidence in your dog. He might snap or rear up for a fight.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Didn't you say your dog wasn't friendly with all dogs? It's not fair to put another dog at risk if you don't think your dog can greet it in a polite and friendly way. Having another dog within his sights is socializing him without having to make nose-to-butt contact. You can ask the other owner if they'd mind parallel-walking, but even that may be too much at first. NO FACE-TO-FACE APPROACHES, go in a curve only or side-by-side.

Better to be safe for a while.
dustyhelp

Post by dustyhelp »

ok thanks! I will start with one of the dogs that he already knows. They have met before and he does pretty well with her. There is also another dog that he gets along ok with as along as that dog isnt all up in his face... but thats understandable. They do fine because the other dog nderstands my dog's boundaries. =)
(sigh) Dogs.......