Better Than Canned!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Better Than Canned!

Post by Fundog »

Hi everyone,

Well, lately I've been wracking my brains, trying to noodle a way to create a way to give my girls a higher quality diet, but for the same price or less than a case of canned dog food (to add to the kibble, to make yummy). I finally did it: A big pot of soup! I came up with a new recipe this morning; one that yielded TWELVE PINTS for just $8.00, compared to a case of 12 thirteen ounce cans for the same price. And... it is higher in nutrient value, lower in fat and calories, and does not smell bad (my kids complain about the smell of canned dog food). In fact, I tasted this batch I made this morning, and aside from needing some salt, it tastes pretty darn good! It smells awesome too! So here's the recipe:

In a large soup pot (eight quarts or larger) brown up two lbs. of ground turkey burger. Also add three pinches of rosemary, three hard shakes of ground sage (or three fresh sage leaves, cut up), two light shakes of celery seed, two light shakes of ground ginger, one crushed and minced clove of garlic.

Add water and bring to a boil.

While the turkey is cooking, peel and cut up into very small pieces, one sweet potato. When the turkey is cooked and the water is boiling, add the sweet potato. Turn down the heat, put a lid on the pan, and let it simmer until the potato bits are done-- about 30 minutes.

Now add 2/3 of a two lb. bag of frozen mixed vegetables (or a pound and a half, but it doesn't have to be exact-- you can just guess!) Also dice up a fresh tomato, and add that, and two grated apples.

Let it simmer until it is thoroughly heated, but you don't want the vegetables to get too done.

I ladled the soup into twelve pint freezer jars, and set out to cool before putting lids on and into the freezer. But if you know how to bottle/can, then you might choose to do it that way.

If you freeze, the jars I got are also microwave safe, so I can just warm the soup up in the microwave before putting on the girls' food. And the amount of liquid will soak into the kibble real nicely too.
Gershep1

Re: Better Than Canned!

Post by Gershep1 »

Pretty kewel :D It reminds me of the recipe my GSD's breeder gave me back in the early 70's when there was no decent dog food available in stores:

5 pounds meat, including "variety" (liver, kidney) boiled with kelp until done
Add cracked biscuit kibble, cottage cheese, vitamin and coat conditioner.
Voila!! Good nutrition. Except cooking the meat just reeked!!!

Your soup sounds sooo much better! Thanks for the recipe!