Purina Pro Plan?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

See that's where I'm still not understanding I guess.

We had a Golden Retriever when I was younger, got him when he was 2 and he lived till he was 16. We got a welsh corgi about 5 years before he died and she's about 15 now and starting to show signs of being old. Our Golden Retriever was on Purina ONE, and the Welsh Corgi is on Iams.
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Diamond IMO, is not a good food... but whenever you switch a dogs food they generally poop more/differently at first than usual.

Diamond makes good foods, like Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup, but Diamond itself eh.. I wouldn't feed it.

Most dogs on poor foods like Purina, Pedigree, etc., look healthy, and maybe they are, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Also, I can tell in a group of a dozen dogs which ones eat Purina/Pedigree/Beneful and which eat quality food. I groom 7-8 dogs a day, foster them, and own them, and I can always tell who eats what and such.

McDonalds is popular, does that mean its healthy? Energy drinks are popular, are they good for you? Nope. Popularity doesnt make anything "good" or "bad", it depends what it is.

Lets look at some ingredients:

Purina Dog Chow
Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest, calcium carbonate, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (minimum) 21
Moisture (maximum) 12
Crude Fat (minimum) 10
Crude Fiber (maximum)

First off, there is not one source of "meat" that we know exactly what it is (i.e. chicken, beef, pork). Your very first ingredient is corn.... would you feed a lion or wolf a diet mainly consisting of corn or wheat?

Poultry by product meal, this would be your main source of meat in the food, and you don't even know what it is!!! By products mean its yucky stuff too.

Then theres more corn, rice, soy, barley, and wheat. WOW. A diabetic's gluten levels would go off the chart eating that many carbs.

Meat and bone meal is just a very disgusting ingredient....A byproduct made from animal parts which are not suitable for human consumption. It can incorporate the entire cow, including the bones, but the quality cuts of meat are always removed. This is an inexpensive, low quality ingredient used to boost the protein percentage.

Animal digest... A cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.

Artificial colors, bad chemicals including menadione (cancer causing vitamin K supplement).... make this a horrible food to feed.

Now, would you rather eat that ^^^^ or this.....

Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Dry Food
Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]