Anyone know about Diamond Dog food?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maryd

Anyone know about Diamond Dog food?

Post by maryd »

I am possibly getting a new dog in late September and the breeder is going to have the dog on Diamond puppy for large breed. I have never heard of this food and there is not a whole lot of places to purchase this around where I live.

I want to be able to start the new dog on a good food but I am totally lost. My dauschund Coop is on Iams and it doesn't seem to bother his stomach but I know with larger breeds there is more to worry about. This dog is going to be a berner/great pyrenees mix. I can't afford 50.00 a bag but I will NOT feed my dog generic dog food that is not good for him.

I of course have plenty of time to do research on this but I wanted to get my ducks in a row if I am able to bring him home. I am doing some training with Cooper first and then taking him to some classes to get him more socialized before I make my final decision on the new addition. (Can you tell that I am already like freaking out about bringing home a new baby)

I am so glad that I have you guys to bounce ideas off of.

Thanks Bunches :)
Mary D
WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

Diamond makes a whole range of foods including Diamond Premium (their cheapest) which I tried but don't personally care for), Diamond Naturals in Chicken and rice or Lamb and Rice (I use the Lamb), Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, and Taste of the Wild.

I haven't tried Chicken Soup or TOTW, but most of the comments I've heard about them are favorable.
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

If you are going to feed Diamond go with Taste of the Wild. I would take the other dog off Iams too. Overpriced food full of fillers and bad ingredients.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

And I really dont get it when people say "I wont pay $50 for a bag of dog food". Do you not realize if you buy a better food you are going to FEED less? The food will then last the same if not longer than the old food....

Anyway thats just my pet peeve.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Ok I mis typed in my last post... high quality food will last LONGER than lower quality because they are eating less so in turn will cost the same if not less... lol I'm tired.
maryd

Post by maryd »

I really appreciate the advice. I have no problem spending money on my dogs food if I know it is good for them. I do have a problem overspending on their food if I can not feed my children!!! I am glad to hear that I should change my other dog off of the Iams because for a little guy he does eat alot and it I can get him into a better food that will last him longer than I am all for it.

I have spend quite a bit of money on my dauschund Cooper when he got extremely ill at about 4 months so it isn't like I won't spend the money on good food if I need to but I also have to think about my family.
Mary D
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

Absolutely, I'm just saying even if you pay more for a quality food, you will feed less, so it works out.

Taste of the Wild isnt all that expensive though.
maryd

Post by maryd »

Springermomx3

Sorry if I seemed a little upset with my reply. I am VERY greatful to know that if you feed them better dog food not only is it better for them they do not have to eat as much. I was wondering, do they have to start with the puppy formula or can you just go to the regular? I have heard that you don't need to start them on the puppy and this would be ideal for me so that I can have both my dogs on the same kind.

I really do appreciate your advice and am glad to know now that I definately should switch my daushund off of the Iams. I do want what is best for them, they are my baby's since mine are now 16 and 10 and they don't listen or need you as much as my Cooper and soon to be new addition Stewie.

Thanks Again :P
Mary D
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

lol kids!
I never fed my pups puppy formulas, just all life stages food. Depends on your pup and what you prefer.
Just make sure you transition both dogs slowly.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

In terms of puppy food vs all life stage foods, i find that puppy blends are really just a marketing strategy to generate $$$. All life stage foods typically require you to feed a bit more to puppies to support growth and such, but provide more the adequate nutrition.

My choices in order of good all stage foods for dogs in general:
Orijen....
Acana.... Both Acana and Orijen are made by Champion pets
Anything from honest kitchen
Evo
Pure Vita
Wellness Core
Natures Variety Instinct
California Natural
Innova
Wolf King or Hundenflocken from Solid gold
Natural Balance

There are a few others but these should give you a good array of foods of great quality covering a wide price range.
maryd

Post by maryd »

Thank you so much for all of the different options that I can choose from. Can I get these at any major pet supply store or am I going to have to order on line? I don't mind having to do that it is just that the cost of shipping can be a little out of control.

Again thanks for everything you have all been wonderful!!!
Mary D
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

You can go on any of the websites for the dog foods listed and see which stores in your area carry them. Petco carries a couple decent brands... Wellness, Solid Gold, Halo I believe, P-mart only carries Blue Buffalo.
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

I rotate my dog's food every few months for variety and am currently feeding her Taste of the Wild. So far, I have been very happy with it. She is just over a year old and seems to like it. I only feed her (at between 40-50 pounds, she's a Samoyed) about 2 1/2 cups a day (she gets a few other treats throughout the day too). TOTW cost me about $45.00 for a 30Ibs. bag.

Before that I fed her Innova. Although Evo, the grain-free version of Innova, is "all-life-stages," Innova comes in an adult formula and a puppy formula. I fed my dog the puppy formula. When I rotate back to Innova in a few months, she will get the adult formula.
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

Also, probably the best place to get the high-quality food is at a local, privately owned feed store. Check online for stores in your area or look at local pet supply stores that you already know of to see what they have.
maryd

Post by maryd »

There is a feed store in the next town over that I use to get food for the goats and bunnies at an Orchard that I worked at for a couple of years. Would that be a place to check? For some reason I thought they would only carry like horse feed. Sorry not to smart about these things I just want to know what the best options are and the best deals. I know that the change pet stores usually charge more so I was looking for a possible alternative.

Thanks
Mary D