how much for pug mix

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

valery

how much for pug mix

Post by valery »

My Molly is a pug a poo. She seems mainly pug, temper, deep chest, squished face, underbite. She is a dense bodied dog, not at all built like a poodle. I am concerned about her weight. She currently weighs 13 pounds. Looks fat. I can feel her ribs, with pressure. Her tummy sags. She's three years old. Not as much exercise as I should give her. She's fed at dinner time. About one half cup canned food mixed with one quarter to one half dry. I do leave dry out most of the time. She sometimes nibbles on it. She gets treats during the day, I would estimate added up it totals to about one quarter cup. How much should a dog this size eat? It seems ok, but she is chubby. Does anyone think more exercise would help without changing what she eats. I cannot let her run without a lead, she chases and won't come back. So walking is my only option. Please help. I would like a healthy life for her. Valery
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

I dont know about a pug mix, but i know someone told me a pug should be between 20-25 lbs. However it think it might depend on the hieght and generic size of the dog
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If she is too fat, she needs less food and more exercise :wink: and we can't tell you how much less and how much more because we can't see her and her meals.

So whichever way you choose to do it, give her less food and more exercise.

In your position I would do away with the kibble and halve the treats, but if this doesn't suit you, try another way.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

My 55lb dog only gets 1 cup of food a day. (high quality)
Try cutting back a tad on her food all together. I would also give less dry and more canned .. perhaps get something like Evangers 100% meat canned food. There is more protein in it which her body will actually use. Daily walks are a must!!

If you are going to leave dry food out during the day, put it in a kong or other type of toy so she has to work to get it.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]