Walking and Leash training?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Walking and Leash training?

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

I'm fixing to go buy a new leash for Gunner, because I think that the nylon one that I got for him is too heavy for him right now.

But any ideas that yall have seen that work to get him used to the leash and not to chew on it? I have some bitter-apple that he doesn't like, but I didn't know if spraying the leash with it would be good. I don't want to make him think of it as a bad experience, or if that would even happen to keep from him chewing on it.

Also, When is a good time to start taking him on short walks? Right now we have puppy playdates every now and then, but it's not everyday. So far I just let him tug on toys and run towards me in the yard. I know he doesn't need alot of exercise and long walks right now because he's so young, but I'm just curious as to when that time comes that is okay to start talking him on short walks and slowly to longer walks.
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
spydre

Post by spydre »

I saw one episode where Victoria came in to help a couple that wanted to take their dog to the Crufts dog show in the puppy class, and he chewed on EVERYTHING, leashes, hands, coats, etc. From what I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Victoria worked with the wife so that if the dog started chewing on the leash, or the hand, etc., while being walked, she would stop walking. I believe once the chewing stopped, she would again start walking.

I'm sorry, hon, that's about the only thing I know, and I've only raised one dog from a puppy, and she didn't chew on her leash - or much at all come to think of it, lol.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

You can also take a kitchen spoon (wood or plastic) with some peanut butter on it (or wet dog food, or liver pate but peanut butter will give you a longer time window) snap on the leash and keeps the spoon right over Gunners nose, allowing him to get just a scant taste of the good stuff now and then. He'll be having so much fun trying to catch up to his treat and too busy to chew on the lead.

After a while you start leaving the spoon home at random and let him replace sniffing around and exploring on lead for the treat, as he'll have learned that the walks are rewarding enough on their own.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Thank you! I'll have to try it when i get the leash. I wasn't able to get the lighter leash today due to the fact I decided to sleep while he was nappin before work so I could catch up on my sleep and be ready for work. :lol:
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear