FOOD THIEVES

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

puppyluvv

Post by puppyluvv »

Ugh - my very first dog when I was 19. No kids, just me and the dog (and I came from a cats-only family)....

I thought that merely putting the bag of treats in the cabinet below the sink would be enough to keep them away from my Rollo.

Got home from my evening classes and went to treat my beloved pup. But there were no treats?!? The bag was gone!?! I looked high, I looked low, I checked every cabinet, I checked the fridge, the microwave, the car, my backpack...

... meanwhile my poor dog is sitting fat-bellied on the couch, staring at me...

... and finally, to my dismay, I found a few lonesome, forelorn shreds of plastic treat bag underneath my bed.

Vet bills for surgery to remove plastic bag from dog's stomach: $1100
Cabinet locks to protect my dog from my own stupidity: approx. $20
Learning that 'puppy-proofing' is the same as 'baby-proofing': Priceless.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

rotflmao! I love your "mastercard" analogy :lol: 8)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, ouch! :lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny, though.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Kole and Lu figured out how to open the undersink cabinet we kept our trashcan in so we started putting a hair-tie around the knobs to keep it shut. We had a halloween party last year and about a week after the party I threw away all of the left over spicy peanuts and candy corn and candy pumpkins and tethered up the cabinets before I went to work. I came home and thought we were safe because there wasn't a mess in the kitchen as there normally was when the boys got into the trash. Then I opened up the undersink cabinet and all of the trash was in the cabinet. Lu had managed to squeeze himself into the cabinet even with the hair-tie ate all of the peanuts and candies and got back out again without pulling any of the trash out of the cabinet. His belly was upset for the next two days and every time he squatted to poo he got this horrible look on his face. We now keep the trash can on the counter.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:shock: Oh my gosh, what a horrible way to learn a hard lesson. And what a horrible way to discover what resourceful little beasties our dogs can be! :shock: I'm glad to hear he didn't die from his little raid!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Dogs can be very crafty when they want something really badly, but don't rely on him not getting on the counter, several of my dogs can and I have found one in the sink before now. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

If my dachshund can figure out how to get on the counter in that part of the kitchen (no drawers to pull out or chairs to hop on) I figure he'll have earned whatever it is he wanted up there :)