A Hobby for the Dog Governed by its Nose

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

A Hobby for the Dog Governed by its Nose

Post by Fundog »

I'm especially thinking of all you owners of beagles out there, who are at the end of your rope (ha-- excuse the pun!)...

I've been doing some research on tracking as a hobby for my bird dogs. I've discovered several very informative articles-- far too many to post links here-- outlining fantastically simple instructions and techniques for teaching your dog to follow a track-- laid in advance by you, of course. The other nifty thing about tracking is, in this "game," the dog is not required to "heel" but to walk ahead of you, leading you, on a very long (20-40 ft.) lead. It is a safe way to give your dog lots of exercise, allows him to pursue his true passion in life (following his nose), and will be fun for you as well, relieving your frustration.

I confess I have not actually tried this activity yet, but I plan to on my next night off-- I can hardly wait, I'm so excited! I know my dogs will just love it.

Anyway, just do a google search: "Teaching your dog to track" and you will find a whole lot of very detailed and informative articles with step-by-step instructions for laying out a track, from a beginner level, to more advanced skill. Try it-- it will be loads of fun for both of you, not to mention exercise too!

Also-- anyone else who visits here who is already involved in tracking: Do you have any great advice/insight/encouragement for us? Can an adult dog learn to track, or do you have to start when it is still a puppy?
Gershep1

Re: A Hobby for the Dog Governed by its Nose

Post by Gershep1 »

Fundog wrote:Also-- anyone else who visits here who is already involved in tracking: Do you have any great advice/insight/encouragement for us? Can an adult dog learn to track, or do you have to start when it is still a puppy?
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Yes, an adult dog can learn tracking. My first German shepherd learned search and rescue type tracking at age 4. The trainer wasn't sure if that was possible, but it happened. For serious tracking, an older dog starts by finding its owner. For fun tracking, use treats.

I love tracking. S&R is my favorite kind of training, even if the dog never actually works in S&R. All my Schutzhund dogs tracked for competition, but that wasn't as much fun. Tracking games with treats or toys around the house and yard are a great mental workout.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, hey thanks for your reply-- better late than never, lol.

As it turned out, my Annie is a natural. One night a couple of months ago, I lost my other dog, Dottie (I had lost hold of her long lead, and she got herself ensared around some brush). It was pitch dark out, and in rough terrain. I told Annie to "find Dottie." Without ever having had any formal training, she put her nose to the ground and took me over variable terrain-- I even had to climb a barbed wire fence! She would stop every few feet and wait for me to catch up to her (as I was stumbling around in the dark). It wasn't long before I caught two pair of eyes in my flashlight beam-- Annie had led me straight to Dottie!
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

Fundog wrote:LOL, hey thanks for your reply-- better late than never, lol.

As it turned out, my Annie is a natural. One night a couple of months ago, I lost my other dog, Dottie (I had lost hold of her long lead, and she got herself ensared around some brush). It was pitch dark out, and in rough terrain. I told Annie to "find Dottie." Without ever having had any formal training, she put her nose to the ground and took me over variable terrain-- I even had to climb a barbed wire fence! She would stop every few feet and wait for me to catch up to her (as I was stumbling around in the dark). It wasn't long before I caught two pair of eyes in my flashlight beam-- Annie had led me straight to Dottie!
Pretty cool :D Not surprised that a beagle could do that --- I'm sure she knows "Dottie" and her nose can do the rest. So, why not start "find the treat" tracking games and eventually expand them from your house or yard to larger areas? I bet Annie will have lots of fun doing that!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Actually, Annie is not a beagle-- she's a springer spaniel/ lab mix. And the "Find it!" game is one of her favorites. :D She would have been an awesome narcotics officer!
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

Fundog wrote:Actually, Annie is not a beagle-- she's a springer spaniel/ lab mix. And the "Find it!" game is one of her favorites. :D She would have been an awesome narcotics officer!
Oops, sorry. I thought you said beagle.

If you want to go farther with Annie, you can up the ante a bit by laying a track in your yard (if it's large) or a park by putting treats every 10 steps or so, adding more twists and turns and less treats as she improves. That ought to keep her busy for ... about 15 minutes. I have a feeling Annie will breeze through even difficult tracks :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, yes, in fact she aced it. I had gone out to an undeveloped lot nearby, and laid the track. Evidently, I had done a very good job smearing the scent of the treat on my shoe, because she was ready to follow my tracks as soon as I walked in the house! We went out the door, she put her nose to the ground, and she led me right to the track start, and all the way through it! Sadly, I haven't bothered to lay another one for her-- it is a lot of prep-work in advance. But yes, she is very good at that sort of thing! She has been known to whip me around on a walk, and make me back-track fifty yards for the smallest fragment or crumb of food that was dropped, and she picked up the scent as we passed!