Changing from puppy food to adult....

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

manda.sue

Changing from puppy food to adult....

Post by manda.sue »

I have a mini australian shepard mix (as you may know) that just turned a year old on 1/25. When should I change to adult food? Right now, he gets California Natural puppy food and I'd like to turn him to the Innova Evo (I'm very snobbish when it comes to food and treats). Because of his high-energy, I was told by many to keep him on the puppy food until he is a year and a half old. I've just noticed that he seems to be getting thicker, which was a problem and why people told me to wait for the switch. So should I wait after all to switch or just start now?
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I dont ever feed puppy food. As soon as I get a puppy they go on a premium all stages food.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
manda.sue

Post by manda.sue »

So you think it should be fine just to switch him now? I might start with his next bag. It seems like a silly question, but Evo comes in small or large bites. Do you have any preference in regards to your mini?
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I like Taste of the Wild, its an all stages grain free food, its s lower protein then EVO. I dont care for EVO unless you have a dog who is actually working and really active.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
LIRAY

Re: Changing from puppy food to adult....

Post by LIRAY »

manda.sue wrote:I have a mini australian shepard mix (as you may know) that just turned a year old on 1/25. When should I change to adult food? Right now, he gets California Natural puppy food and I'd like to turn him to the Innova Evo (I'm very snobbish when it comes to food and treats). Because of his high-energy, I was told by many to keep him on the puppy food until he is a year and a half old. I've just noticed that he seems to be getting thicker, which was a problem and why people told me to wait for the switch. So should I wait after all to switch or just start now?
Hello:
I just started coming on this forum, and it is one of the best ones. We always tell our puppy people or clients it all depends on your dog when to change over and what you do with him for exercise? When you change over make sure it is slow, I think you can change to adult by putting on a high quilty food.

Lisa and Ray - LIRAY Kennels
Lisa and Ray
LIRAY Kennels
we have been breeding springers for 15 years, we have 4 springers who are 7 years to 12 years of age, two english cockers, 2 years old and 5 months old and AM Cocker who is 6 years old, all dogs live and raised in home.