Hooves (to chew on) questions

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

1GaPeach

Hooves (to chew on) questions

Post by 1GaPeach »

My dog is a chewer. She make short work of rawhides (given in moderation) & needs things to chew on. I have a sterilized beef bone which provides some interest if smeared w/ Peanut butter, a Kong and a few rubber toys. I was wondering the benefit or hooves as chewing alternatives. I have read they are more durable but I am concerned about digestive issues (such as rawhides can cause).

Your thoughts or experience...
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

My only experience with hooves relates to trimmings from horses. I've always known dogs to love picking them up and chewing on them but all I can think of is yuck!!! I sure wouldn't want my dog licking me after chewing on hoof trimmings nor do I want to think about what they would smell like on the other end :D
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

My only experience with hooves relates to trimmings from horses. I've always known dogs to love picking them up and chewing on them but all I can think of is yuck!!! I sure wouldn't want my dog licking me after chewing on hoof trimmings nor do I want to think about what they would smell like on the other end :D
Olliekinz

Post by Olliekinz »

I have 7 horses ad 3 outside dogs. If your dog is inside then don't because they can and will smell BAD. If your dog is outside go for it. I would feed Rawhide instead of the hoof trimmings
Maltipoo-Oliver
Blk Lab-Katie
Sheltie-Poker
German Shep.-Shadow or Lucky's Shadow(Reg. name)
1GaPeach

Post by 1GaPeach »

Thanks for the responses

Based on some reviews I saw on other sites, I went ahead and bought one. Boy it that a double edges sword. Our dog LOVES it. While a rawhide would only last her 30minutes or so, this thing is on day 3 with plenty of life left in it. However, they should come w/ a smell warning. HOLY COW...that thing smells like $hi!, literally. I just gag when she is near and chewing. I can even smell when I am near it and it hasn't seen chew recent action (dry).
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

my dogs throw up horse hoof trimmings, because they chew them up and swallow them and they are very hard to digest, so I do not allow them to get the horse hoof trimmings. I do get them cow hoofs to chew on, they knaw on them and when they get to small I throw them away, they enjoy them and they are not really expensive like the bully sticks, although my dogs love those!
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Pitbulover

Hoofs?

Post by Pitbulover »

The thing is everyone feeds tgier dog diffrent things. You should go with what you are most comfortsble with. Take in consideration your breed of dog, the age of the dog and hoew is your dogs digestion. I rescue foster and rehome APBT. They do quiet well on the hoofs if you are ok with the smell, I myself don't smell them. I also get the big smoked bones. Then every oce in awile I may buy soup bones. Some times the dogs stools may get loose if the are't use to them. Like i said keep in mind the size breed and age of your dog. They do make some strong toys(not many can with stand my dogs) but if they can eat them it could harm them. Good luck to you.