Beefing UP!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

passionate61

Beefing UP!

Post by passionate61 »

:D hi any tips on food good for putting weight on. I have a 4 mnth old Neapolitan Mastiff pup, who could do with putting on a few more kgs/pounds, he is a fussy eater, not food orientated at all.
Is on boiled chicken and rice at the moment after a bad bout of diarehea, but is normally fed a holistic dry food, mixed with one of the following,green tripe, raw mutton mince, raw chicken necks, salmon, cottage cheese, raw egg. He is fed three times a day.
He also has raw bones to chew ocassionaly. :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

So long as it isn't too rich for him, I find breast of lamb puts weight on very quickly. Just put in the whole slab and let him crunch it up.

Horsemeat also puts weight on well but is not always easy to find, and many people have ethical objections to using it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
zeus'fostermom

Post by zeus'fostermom »

I was just talking to a friend about this ... his dog had major surgery in her mouth due to cancer and therefore lost a lot of weight. His holistic vet recommended adding squash and/or pumpkin to her regular diet. I'd never heard about this but it seems to have worked.
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Adding pumkin will also help firm up the stools.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Pasta will also put weight on a dog but don't feed too much.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
passionate61

Post by passionate61 »

:D thanks, will try your ideas.