Is there a way to make a homemade agility track?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Is your dog so hyper you don't know where the energy comes from?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

Sosaku

Is there a way to make a homemade agility track?

Post by Sosaku »

If so how and what should i use my dog Susy loves to jump so should I make things for her to jump over and some how not get her to go under? And how can I encourage her to jump should I use treats or do like i always do and jump over it myself?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Much depends on several things.

How much exercise does your dog get on a daily basis. How much time do you spend daily on training exercises.

As far as teaching to jump over obstacles, I assume you mean agility type standards:
1. How old is your dog, this has a huge impact on how high the jump height should be set.
2. agility jumping is not so much about jumping as it is passing through a standard. so while there are height requirements going over the jumps in designated order at any height is good.
3. jump form is also important. The physical mechanics around how your dog physically jumps is also important for a number of health issues....just as horse people about jumping form. You might even be able to adapt horse exercises for dogs to improve jumping.

start with teach the jump with the bar low so that going over the bar is all apart of the trick. You should not be jumping over the bar. Agility handler do not run over the obstacles. Start wih jump height between 4 and 8 inches
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You can make your own agility equipment out of the white plastic plumbing pipes you can buy in various places.

There are a variety of 'elbow joints' at different angles to join the pipes together and then they can be carefully decorated using coloured electrical tape.

If you intend to do competitive agility youll need to know the various standard heights and distances and prepare in such a way as you comply with their rules, ie teach doggie to do contacts, wait whilst you run ahead before starting on command etc..

In the uk dogs dont start until 12 months and dont compete until over 18 months (i think thats correct), if you arent sure then i would say no jumping big heights (nothing over a foot high, dependant on breed, less for bigger heavier breed pups, could be higher for lighter breed adults/adolescents), anda gain for dogs not used to the movements required, they need to get fit for it slowly.

So weaves need to be widely spaced and offset to start with, bringing them more in-line and closer together as the dog is used to it, and similarly starting with just a few poles and working up to more as the dog becomes confident and fit.

I wouldnt recommend you try to build your own dog walk or a frame or see-saw, though the beginnings of dog walk training can be done with a plank on the ground, then up on bricks just a few inches high etc.

Tunnels you would have to buy, and make sure they are safe and cant be ripped by dogs claws. For small dogs childrens play tunnels can work well.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

We do have a few puppies in Apollo's class (at least they were when we started). Puppy introduction to obstacles is fine, but jump heights are limited and weaves are not introduced until 12mo old.To look for equipment for training for competitive agility.

http://www.cleanrun.com
http://www.afordableagility.com

Both site have both equipment for training and for competition.

I would not worry about having an aframe, dogwalk or teeter. you can do most of the training for these obstacles with a 12" board about 8-10'in length. By using bricks to raise it slightly you can work on contact behaviors. There are several and you will want to discuss this with a trainer to understand the advantage and disadvantage of each.

With weaves there are several different methods used to train weave poles. Emmabeth mentioned what are known as channel weaves. I use a different method called the 2 by 2 method made popular by Susan Garrette. Again this is something to discuss with a trainer as to which method will work best for you and your dog.

With agility and any dog of ny age its really important that you work with a trainer to introduce new obstacles. This is for several reasons. Its very easy for a green dog to become frightened of an obstacle. I have seen this a lot with the teeter and tunnels. It happens when a new trainer tries to lead a green dog over a teeter via a lure at full height. As soon the teeter moves the dog typically excitedly jumps off rather than completing the teeter correctly. This of course will lead to a dog who refuses or bails on the obstacle. It happens with the dog walk and even tunnels and chutes. Dogs can become easily frighted of these without the correct introduction.
Sosaku

Post by Sosaku »

I am sorry but what is a green dog?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

a rookie dog at the sport...one who is just beginning in training.
Sosaku

Post by Sosaku »

o thanks and i love your sig
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

When i do agility at my house with my dog, we use plain ole sticks and pool noodles!!! :mrgreen: Well, its not that complex but it works.

cassiesloveableowner

Post by Fundog »

I've got a question about agility: I'm thinking Annie would enjoy agility a lot, and even be good at it (even though we presently don't have an agility group in our region), but dh is concerned that teaching her to jump over things might make her realise she is capable of jumping the fence in our yard, and escaping-- she currently has no idea she can do this, and we don't particularly want her to find out! So anyway, my question is, in your experience, have you found agility to promote backyard escapes/fence jumping/wanderlust, that sort of thing? Or do your dogs only jump when they know they will get a treat for it?

BTW: Modifying our fence is not really an option, since we had to get a permit from the city just to have one installed in the first place-- we have something called a "beautification ordinance" in place, so anything you do to your own property has to meet with the city's idea of what is "aesthetically pleasing."
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fundog, don't teach your dog to jump. You are wise to have considered this. Lots of dogs go their whole lives without realising there is a "jump" option. Once dogs jump, they will apply their new skill to any rewarding situation, which may well include the boundary fence.

You can do lots of active exercise without jumping eg tunnels and weaves and sitting inside hoops, walking through hoops held up, oooh lots more, I'm sure others will add.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Thank you for that, Nettle. So... I just need to get a bit more creative-- that is to say, I can still do "agility" in it's purest form, really-- it doesn't have to include jumping-- what a concept! (Home Depot, here I come, lol)