What kind of food?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

what food do your dog(s) eat?

dry
80%
wet
2%
homemade
6%
other
12%

Total votes: 51

i_luv_my_pups

What kind of food?

Post by i_luv_my_pups »

I was wongering what kind of food everyone prefers.
Holldenwolf

Post by Holldenwolf »

My puppy has passed away but I always fed him Pedigree Marrow Bone treats and dry dog food. Sometimes table food. He liked vegetables and ate them with me: carrots, cauliflower (he didn't like broccoli though, lol)
I miss my puppy :(

Have a pleasant day,
Holldenwolf
Holldenwolf

PEDIGREE MARROBONE

Post by Holldenwolf »

PEDIGREE MARROBONE

http://www.pedigree.com/01Really%20Good ... oductId=15

his favorite snack.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Just don't click on the ingredients. :shock:
Holldenwolf

curious

Post by Holldenwolf »

Hi ckranz. I'm curious what it is that frightens you within the list of ingredients? just because I've studied food additives for many years and might be able to assist you with understanding an ingredient. As I see it, there is nothing within that list that is any worse than the majority of ingredients that many humans ingest.

bromine (a heavy volatile corrosive is used in many junk foods as doughnuts and danishes)
hot dogs are made of by-products and are naturally gray (or grey) in color but human fear has caused the industry to add sodium erythorbate to make them appear pinkish in hue.
any food with coloring as candy, cereal, etc. uses coal-tar derivatives (known to cause tumours in mice) - especially, FD&C yellow 5,6; blue number 2
ripe Florida oranges actually have green patches on the rind but fearful humans think that they are not ripe so citrus red no. 2 (a recognized carcinogen) is added to make them appear a pretty more appealing orange (but don't suck the rind)
maraschino cherries were once made using only red number 4, a known carcinogen

let's not forget that domestic dogs are bred from wolves - raw bloddy tissue eating animals; including guts full of germs and bacteria

the list:
Wheat Flour - fine powder made from wheat meal; I use it for breads and homemade noodles (mostly white flour)
Meat & Bone Meal - meal, id est, crushed or pulverized meat (flesh, tissue) and bone (calcium mostly)
Vitamin Supplements - humans ingest these as well
salt = sodium chloride - I use it
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) - just a vitamin
Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1) - just a vitamin
Folic Acid - Vitamin M (occurs in most green vegetables that you might consume)
Sugar - vernacular name for sucrose: I use lots of it in my coffee; not good for dogs but only trace amounts are used within this product;
Cooked Bone Marrow - no explanation needed
Malted Barley - here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt
Sodium Metabisulfite - this is good: http://chemicalland21.com/industrialche ... ulfite.htm (probably responsible for the light color of the snack)
Calcium Carbonate - dietary calcium supplement
Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)
Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) - Antioxidants to prevent fats and oil from putrifying. thought to be carcinogenic to humans but a treat is not a steady diet.

http://www.petfoodreport.com/aboutpetfood.htm
http://dogs.about.com/cs/dietandnutriti ... list_P.htm

It would be nice to feed your dog chicken and steak everyday but will the vet foot the bill? probably not. let's not fall for meat industry marketing when it's merely a snack. I never had a problem with my dog and he ate these for 10 years. My vet never complained of anything. His cause of death is simple: my mom had him put to sleep because she couldn't take care of him. I left him with her because of my marriage (more important at the time). So, these treats never caused a single problem with my puppy.

Hope you can clarify what frightens you in this list.[/url]
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Wheat along with corn, soy and such are common allergins for dogs. Alleries which can cause itching, hot spots hairloss etc...

BHA/BHT

BHT/BHA and Ethoxyquin
These popular preservatives are heavily used in the pet food industry, not only to preserve fats but to stabilize the whole product as well. We have certainly been educated as to the dangerous side-effects of BHT/BHA in our own diets as a serious carcinogen, but little truth has been shared about Ethoxyquin. This preservative was developed in the 1950's as a rubber stabilizer and herbicide, very similar to Agent Orange! It was either never approved by the FDA or recalled after three years of human use (I researched both accounts) but one thing is for certain, the documented cases of serious side-effects resulting from exposure to, or ingestion of this chemical. Humans who were working with it in the rubber industry, reported a dramatic rise in such diseases as liver/kidney damage, cancerous skin lesions, loss of hair, blindness, leukemia, fetal abnormalities and chronic diarrhea. In animals it has been linked to immune deficiency syndrome, spleen, stomach and liver cancer, as well as the above mentioned diseases. The steady increase in animal cancer and serious diseases has paralleled the increased use of chemical preservatives in the pet food industry during the last twenty-five years!

As a non-native speaker (German is my native language), it has been difficult for me to compose this article in English, since I had to translate most of my information from literature originally written in German. My search for relevant, unbiased sources in English was not very successful, with exception of some obscure references and texts that provided some information but do not include all the facts. There were also many articles written by authors who didn't even have the basic knowledge to differentiate between vtiamin K1, K2 and K3.

Sodium Metabisulfite....aka menadione or vitamin k3

Here is a list of negative effects of menadione on the body. It is incomplete, since my English medical terminology is lacking and I was simply not able to translate the more complicated scientific phrases into proper English:

causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
considerably weakens the immune system
possible mutagenic effects
damages the natural vitamin K cycle
has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
causes allergic reactions and eczema

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Just to name a few things.
Holldenwolf

thank you for your opinion

Post by Holldenwolf »

Hallo ckranz,

majority of your copy and paste knowledge is based upon its usage as a pesticide product not food preservative
U.S. NTP Acute Toxicity Studies: Not Acutely Toxic to Slightly Toxic
for scientific food preservative info vide:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/j ... 18je06.htm
emphasis: Comments

Marrobone product does not use Ethoxyquin

would you kindly list some of your favorite scientific journals from which you have studied?

might I point out: my puppy never had a problem consuming this product

if you do not will to feed these treats to your dog you don't have to; thank you for your opinion but I possess a knowledge greater than copy and paste technology so I am fine with these treats

auf Wiedersehen,
Holldenwolf
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't see the wisdom in feeding dogs processed foods they were never evolved to eat, with a range of added chemicals and colours, when with a lot less effort we can feed them fresh food in its natural state without added anything.

It is, of course, a matter of choice :wink: same as feeding ourselves and our families.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

entertaining as the food flaming is, I'll derail it.

I feed a combo of dry Iams: Lamb and Rice formula and homemade dinners, Molly gets raw and cooked chicken, raw and cooked burger and steak (she's fond of her frozen "meatsickles" in the summer time) She also gets boiled potato, carrots cooked and raw, peas and beans. She's fond of all veggies, which means I have to be careful about what people give her. sometimes people are so amused by the novelty of a dog who eats veggies they'll slip her onion or raw potato/skins...

I also feed Molly home made dog biscuits, she likes them better than any thing I can buy, and they taste good (the chicken and honey especially Yum!... yes I eat dog food... :oops: she has some with cranberries and peas that smell like cereal bars... )

Before we got the cat she LOVED Busy Bones. We don't buy them anymore because she'll simply guard it rather than eat it.

I think that dog nutrition is very important, but in a world where "Happy Meals" are acceptable "treats" for young children I think that pet owners get a little too gung-ho about dog food.

I do feel that a homecooked meal is best, however I agree that treats are not meals, and some of us do subsist on Ramen noodles and Hamburger helper... It might be fair to say that even "bad" dog food is better than what some of us eat due to budget constraints (or just because chicken ramen and Franks redhot sauce is delicious)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Holldenwolf

Post by Holldenwolf »

thought I'd find another helpful link:

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/j ... 42je24.htm

The best explanation of trace amounts and uneducated sequacious masses is this:

cigarettes are not good for human consumpption, true, yet the masses are steered like cattle to spend all of their time combating cigarettes;
meanwhile, if you were to lock yourself in a garage and leave your car running to take a nap you will not be waking up the next day;
A smoker in a garage would walk out the next day;
it's the difference between large doses and trace amounts and there is not a single chemical on Earth that one could not overdose with - it's a fact. you could overdose on ascorbic acid (vitamin C for the masses)

unlike copy and paste feramongers, I study food additives sometimes in my homemade labs. I am comfortable with 'occasionally' feeding my dog a treat with doses of BHT less than 0.05 mg/kg. If you are not noone is forcing you to. Thanks for the flames but I know the square root of ten and do not require a math lesson. Id est, I have studied BHT personally and do not require 'un'scientific opinions.

Thank you for your opinions but I am happy with my decisions.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

I am not trying to start a flame war hear

It was thought that melamine was a harmless additive at one time as well. I can make shoice for my own diet in terms of what I consume personally. My dogs don't have that luxury.

2 of my 3 dogs are also athletes (agility) so their diets are also much more like a professional athelete's diet as opposed to a non-athlete's diet.
My 3rd dog is a hard working therapy dog...trust me its hard work for her and she's great at it. She is on the same diet as my atheletes.

My research has primarily been from whole dog journal, the dog food project, books by authors like Dr Richard Pitacarn. I have also study the work of Tom Lonsdale and others concerning the benefits of raw diets.

Based on the numerous recent recalls involving the plant based components of dog foods from contaminated wheat and rice glutens to fungal agents from corn and corn derivatives I tend to avoid products that contain the ingredients.

Your reason behind salt (I eat this) is not very scientific. I eat onions, grapes, rasins, and chocolate....would I feed those to my dog? Heck no because those items have been shown to Kill dogs.

There is a new sweatener they are using in trident that also has recently been shown to kill dogs.

Most, not all, chemical preservative, color, and other addatives are also generally tested individually. What is lost is the synergistic effect of multiple chemicals when combined which can case harm to not only humans but our pets as well.

Does this mean that I don't ever feed my dogs junk food? No, but junk food is very very limited. There are certain types of junk food I will not feed my dogs...beggin strips being one of them.

During the summer after a hot beach run, we stop and they get frosty paws (doggie ice cream) which contains wheat gluten among other thing. They only get 1 frosty paws over a 3 week period of time. (And only if they behaved well at the beach) LOL.

The original greenies is another product which had some issues. Feeding 1 greenie a week you would never have run into the issue. Some people were feeding this as almost a dietary suppliment. The problem was that the greenies would break in to chuncks which were difficult for dogs to digest and the would end up with and intestinal blockage.

Again this resulted from how the product was used. They had to go back and find ways to make greenies break in to smaller, digestable/passable sized pieces.

Feeding 1 Marrow bone, deta stick, jumbone, or busy bone over a span of 2 weeks will most likely not result in any bad side effect, but feeding 2-3 per night may have different results.

If you are comfortable with what your dog eats, thats fine and your choice to make. But at least you have an understanding of what is inside and can make a choice not based in ignorance.

Just as there are many questions concerning chemicals in treats and pet foods, there is also just as big a discussion about vaccinations and their links to certain cancers and other health concerns. That too is a very heated debate topic.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

I am not trying to start a flame war hear

It was thought that melamine was a harmless additive at one time as well. I can make shoice for my own diet in terms of what I consume personally. My dogs don't have that luxury.

2 of my 3 dogs are also athletes (agility) so their diets are also much more like a professional athelete's diet as opposed to a non-athlete's diet.
My 3rd dog is a hard working therapy dog...trust me its hard work for her and she's great at it. She is on the same diet as my atheletes.

My research has primarily been from whole dog journal, the dog food project, books by authors like Dr Richard Pitacarn. I have also study the work of Tom Lonsdale and others concerning the benefits of raw diets.

I also read MSDS sheets...comes from being a hazmat coordinator for the NAVY in a previous employment.

Based on the numerous recent recalls involving the plant based components of dog foods from contaminated wheat and rice glutens to fungal agents from corn and corn derivatives I tend to avoid products that contain the ingredients.

Your reason behind salt (I eat this) is not very scientific. I eat onions, grapes, rasins, and chocolate....would I feed those to my dog? Heck no because those items have been shown to Kill dogs.

There is a new sweatener they are using in trident that also has recently been shown to kill dogs.

Most, not all, chemical preservative, color, and other addatives are also generally tested individually. What is lost is the synergistic effect of multiple chemicals when combined which can case harm to not only humans but our pets as well.

Does this mean that I don't ever feed my dogs junk food? No, but junk food is very very limited. There are certain types of junk food I will not feed my dogs...beggin strips being one of them.

During the summer after a hot beach run, we stop and they get frosty paws (doggie ice cream) which contains wheat gluten among other thing. They only get 1 frosty paws over a 3 week period of time. (And only if they behaved well at the beach) LOL.

The original greenies is another product which had some issues. Feeding 1 greenie a week you would never have run into the issue. Some people were feeding this as almost a dietary suppliment. The problem was that the greenies would break in to chuncks which were difficult for dogs to digest and the would end up with and intestinal blockage.

Again this resulted from how the product was used. They had to go back and find ways to make greenies break in to smaller, digestable/passable sized pieces.

Feeding 1 Marrow bone, deta stick, jumbone, or busy bone over a span of 2 weeks will most likely not result in any bad side effect, but feeding 2-3 per night may have different results.

If you are comfortable with what your dog eats, thats fine and your choice to make. But at least you have an understanding of what is inside and can make a choice not based in ignorance.

Just as there are many questions concerning chemicals in treats and pet foods, there is also just as big a discussion about vaccinations and their links to certain cancers and other health concerns. That too is a very heated debate topic.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't think we need to call an informed difference of opinion a flame war :wink:

Differences of opinion are, after all, at the heart of discussions, and so long as we remain civil, we can all learn something most of the time.

I too keep high-performance working dogs, and I know what they do best on. If someone asks my opinion, I will give it, and the reasons for it. Many people are perfectly happy to feed themselves, their animals and their families on things that I would not, and that is their choice.

Quite a lot of us here have all sorts of interesting qualifications, but there is no qualification that outweighs experience. That is why it is so important that we share what we know. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

BAH! I was trying to break up the "discussion" as it was getting heated with a derailment to invite other people into the conversation.

it might not have been a flamewar. that's a strong description, and I doubt that ckranz would have allowed it to become one, however it WAS getting a bit on the personal side and I was trying to lighten the mood by pointing out it's POTENTIAL...

I tried and failed... :? luckily it happens a lot. bother...
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

*Puts on the mod hat*

Dont make me get the Mod Stick out too... so far this is all ok but watch the 'tone of voice' people... especially those posters who are recently joined - do bear in mind that things can come across very differently than originally intended.

From a personal point of view - I dont think being aware and researching and having an opinion on the ingredients that go into commercially produced dog food is 'fearmongering'.

It is no real secret that much of the ingredients that go into dog food are waste or by-products from other food industries that were previously discarded... now that there is a market for them, no rightminded business person would pass up that opportunity (and thus i am not a business person)..

Its money for old rope!

Thats not to say that some ingredients are awful because they are by-products... but by the same token, I dont agree that feeding dogs on food that can be as much as 63% RICE (one brand i know of is), or over 50% cereal is ideal for dogs.

That they may survive on it is undeniable. That they will thrive on it... that is a different question.