Impulse control and age

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shellpry

Impulse control and age

Post by shellpry »

I have a Border Collie mix that is around 13 yrs old. I’ve had her since she was around 7 months old. She has always been great with training. She is very smart and very focused on pleasing. One thing I have struggled with though is the nipping at other dogs or people if she thinks they are doing something wrong. I’ve always chalked it up to herding instinct and have just focused on keeping her out of situations where that behavior is a concern. Otherwise, she has always been a dream. Lately I’ve noticed in the last couple of years that her impulse control seems to be failing. For instance, she has had a soft mouth for treats since she was around 1 years old. That was one of things I worked on as soon as I got her. But she seems to be getting VERY nippy again with treats. Is it common for dogs to lose some impulse control when they get old?
JudyN

Re: Impulse control and age

Post by JudyN »

Is it posible that her eyesight is deteriorating so she can't see the treats so well? I think any change in behaviour in old age warrants a health check, but that might not be possible right now.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009