How unhealthy are Bernese mountain dogs?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

How unhealthy are Bernese mountain dogs?

Post by ZaraD »

Ok I really need help with this , as I thought they were a healthy breed apart from the high risk of cancer and shorter lifespan. As some of you may remember my cousin is getting a Bernese mountain dog but several people have said Bernese's are know as the heartbreak breed and are very unhealthy in the UK and that she should go abroad to somewhere like Switzerland were they are more healthy?

Is this true? As I was surprised when she told me as yes they have issues like all breeds but I did not think they were that unhealthy.

And if true is it still possible to find a relatively healthy one?

Please any advice would be very appreciated :)
Last edited by ZaraD on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Re: How unhealthy are Bernese mountain dogs?

Post by ZaraD »

Since it's a question of health I thought it was better to post here than in breed Qs
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Update, they have spoke with the breed club who said that what she has been told is a load of rubbish and that Berneses in Switzerland are no more healthy than those here in the UK she said that the Bernese is not a very unhealthy breed and the health issues are world wide not just in the UK the most important thing is to research breeders very careful and make sure they have the relavent health tests.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A very unhealthy breed with a short lifespan in comparison to most other dogs, and plenty of information in the public domain.

the Bernese is not a very unhealthy breed and the health issues are world wide not just in the UK Contradictory. Either it isn't unhealthy or there are worldwide health issues.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 am A very unhealthy breed with a short lifespan in comparison to most other dogs, and plenty of information in the public domain.

the Bernese is not a very unhealthy breed and the health issues are world wide not just in the UK Contradictory. Either it isn't unhealthy or there are worldwide health issues.
Would it be possible do you think to find a healthy one?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Depends what you mean by "healthy". It might be possible to find some that are less unhealthy than others, but it would not be possible to find one with an average-for-a-dog lifespan and free from inheritable illnesses.

ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 am Depends what you mean by "healthy". It might be possible to find some that are less unhealthy than others, but it would not be possible to find one with an average-for-a-dog lifespan and free from inheritable illnesses.
There fine with short lifespan, by healthy I mean one that won't be going to the vets a lot as some owners have told her that they would not have another as there just too unhealthy and your always going into the vets with them?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Assuming they would take the dog to a vet whenever it became ill, yes they would be going to the vets. How often would depend on which illnesses the dog develops in what order, and whether the owners would want to prolong its life with treatment or euthanise to avoid further suffering.

ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

The owners they spoke too said that Berneses go to the vets far more than most other breeds.

Yes they will be taking there dog to a vet but they don't want a breed that goes more than most.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I wanted to update everyone and let you know that I have told them to go to more dog shows and meet more dogs in the flesh and do there own independent research.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Very sensible advice.