Bone broth?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Bone broth?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

Sampson is not eating at lot which I don't blame him , so today the vet said feed him bone broth until he has his appetite back as he said this is normal.

I found this http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/re ... one-broth/

Is it safe to give him?
JudyN

Re: Bone broth?

Post by JudyN »

Yes, it would be safe. I don't know about giving lemon juice to dogs, but apple cider vinegar is fine.

Though if you want to make a quick version that will get Sampson drinking and get some goodness into him, you could just boil up the bones for an hour and give him the broth from that. I dare say the version in the article would have even more health benefits, so could be worth it if he's still off his food in a day or two.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:40 pm Yes, it would be safe. I don't know about giving lemon juice to dogs, but apple cider vinegar is fine.

Though if you want to make a quick version that will get Sampson drinking and get some goodness into him, you could just boil up the bones for an hour and give him the broth from that. I dare say the version in the article would have even more health benefits, so could be worth it if he's still off his food in a day or two.
Thanks Judy , I boil some for an hour like you said but yes if he's still not eating by tomorrow I'll do the recipe from the article. Funny enough if been drinking apple cider vinegar in water for the past week or so for my health condition which has improved massively since drinking it and everytime I do Sampson has showed an interest in it. Would I just put the Apple cider vinegar in his bowl?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've never used it, but there's lots of articles about it on the internet: https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+c ... refox-b-ab The benefits will be different to using it in the broth though - it's used in the broth to leach more goodness out of the bones.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's fine in the broth, but don't give it to him neat because of the effects on teeth.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Judy and Nettle

I'll put it in the broth, he's still not eating this morning but he did eat or should I say drink all the broth last night so I'll follow the recipe today and see how he is, I think he's trying to tell me he can't be bothered to chew his food as he doesn't have the energy , the poor thing he just wants to sleep or relax mainly.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Did you pick any of the meat off the bones and save it? If so you could try offering that, or even just put it in the broth.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:47 am Did you pick any of the meat off the bones and save it? If so you could try offering that, or even just put it in the broth.
I took most of the meat off the bones but left some and iv been feeding him bits of the chicken I save , I just got back from Waitrose to buy most of the ingredients and have stocked up on whole chickens so he has loads of meat as well as bones for the broth, and I'm going to make a batch now.