Ready made raw feeds

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: Ready made raw feeds

Post by Lotsaquestions »

We tried the chicken &salmon bag and he ate half of that at least, but he's not enthused. He's now gone back to his dry food in his wobbler. :roll:

Giving the hot water a go now, see if I can tempt him. He managed to pull his knee in a game of chase with a Lurcher so he's on bed rest again with painkillers :cry:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

He managed to pull his knee in a game of chase with a Lurcher
................... not that i doubt merlins fluffy lil paws but somehow im doubting that game was anything but one sided :roll: :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Merlin is very fast... For a small Spitz :lol:

The Lurcher was one of those dogs who gets carried away and instead of play jogging after Merlin he went full pelt. Merlin stopped dead to cool the game down, the Lurcher landed right on top of him and bonked him on the head. Then, true to form, Merlin went back for more even though I could see the cartoon birds around his head :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 amThe Lurcher was one of those dogs who gets carried away
That's pretty par for the course for a lurcher :lol: Often, lurchers prefer to be chased than chase, and then will moderate their speed to keep the other dog just out of ankle-reach - prompting the other owner to say 'Oh look, my fat lab can keep up with your dog' :lol: Their brakes aren't quite as reliable as their accelerator though :?

People often have to add meaty juices to their dog's kibble to persuade their dogs to eat it. I'm wondering if Merlin is going to reverse this trend!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

my bro sprinkles Parmesan cheese on his dogs kibble :roll: :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:24 am my bro sprinkles Parmesan cheese on his dogs kibble :roll: :lol:

:lol: my auntie does this with her dogs kibble to :D and sometimes when the dogs been extra good he gets chedder cheese ontop of his kibble :P
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I think with Merlin he just likes to work for his dinner, and I don't know how I could make him work for his raw... With it being a bit gross and bloody I don't really want it to muck all over his Buster mat >.< And he has grown a bit bored of Kongs. I also don't want to scatter raw meat in the garden since we found a rat there shortly after moving in! The neighbour has decking :cry:

He's never been a fan of eating straight from a bowl, that was always his last option. I'll have to have a think.

I took a look at all the other suggested brands, and Nutriment is the easiest to get hold of near me so I will give that a go next if he doesn't eat Nature's Menu soon. I actually tried putting dry food into it to see if that helped, it didn't unfortunately! Nor did warm water or frying it. He just looked at the bowl like 'you expect me to eat that?' and walked off to his wobbler again. He happily ate his scrambled eggs at bedtime out of a bowl though :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

If he has difficulty with a bowl you could always try feeding on a towel. Bax HATES bowls but will happily eat his raw on a towel. (If any of his raw gets on the floor he drags it back onto his towel) the only down side is frequent laundry :?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Meaty bones might give him more of a challenge and then give him a taste for raw meat. Have you tried putting his raw into Kongs? There's various other 'stuffable' toys around or slow feeders that might fit in a dishwasher.

Have you tried different sorts of bowls, e.g. plastic, china, metal? Or plates?

But you do have to weigh up the benefits against the risk of guarding if you reintroduce bones, and the potential for mess if he decides that chucking a stuffed toy down the stairs is the most effective way of getting the meat out :wink:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Merlin has the pick it up and drop it tactic down with stuffed toys, it is his first port of call when trying to get anything out of anything. It would be messy :lol: He has had bones now a few times, a Lamb bone and duck necks. He doesn't guard them anymore, but he will bury them if he doesn't finish them which is why I want to stick with something he will either leave unburied, or will finish in one go.

Its not the bowl itself, and I have tried different ones / plates / on a towel. He just doesn't seem to like eating something 'easy'. I just gave him his dinner again now, new bowl to give another a try. He went over, licked it, looked up at me and was like 'nope'. I got him a cheap stuffed bone out and now he's munching on that instead. I think its probably the brand at this point :(

Edit: tried frying again. Fishy smell really comes out. He's eating it!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Right so had a 'conversation' with my dad, and he is basically refusing to see Merlin whilst he's being fed raw. He's dead against it as a concept and linked me article after article of vets saying its bad, but he is saying that because he (my dad) is immunocompromised (diabetes) that Merlin is too high of a risk for him.

So, I wanted to ask, would cooking the meat drastically reduce the positive benefits of it? I am willing to try out a natural, but cooked, diet to see if it works for Merlin. We are still struggling to get him to eat his raw anyway :roll: It would mean an end to his daily duck neck chew, which I am sure he'll be sad to see go. He loves those and I don't think anything else can replace a good raw chew for health and enjoyment :cry:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

.... not to diss your dad but as a health care provider im amused about his thoughts on diabetes........ :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wondered about that, Shalista - but as circulation can be a problem in diabetes, if he had a wound on his leg that was reluctant to heal and Merlin licked it (or licked LoQ's dad's hand and then he scratched his leg), wouldn't the risk of it getting infected from the nasties in Merlin's mouth and being resistant to treatment increase?

I really don't know about the nutritional value of a homecooked diet vs raw or vs good-quality kibble, I'm afraid. I find it enough of a pain having to cook for me and OH :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I think if hes concerned about a dog LICKING an OPEN wound when hes DIABETIC? He should probably adjust his wound care regimen... just saying.

But I'm sure he knows what's best for his own health care and I'm not his doctor so i won't throw shade :wink:

As far as cooked vs raw i do know heat denatures the proteins so i'd always heard cooked was less healthful than raw. not sure how it stacks vs kibble though.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

His doctors said not to be around animals fed raw meat apparently. Merlin is a licker aswell, he licks your face so you can't breath sometimes :lol: I don't really know the ins and out of his diabetes, but he does have to be careful with illnesses as he'll get them worse and more frequent than the rest of us. To be honest, I wouldn't put it past his hatred of raw feeding to be bleeding into his 'fears' a little bit. :roll:

I'll do a bit of research into cooked vs raw vs dry food see if there is a massive difference. I can't imagine doing a monthly batch of minced things and veg being that hard work!