Change of behaviour

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Change of behaviour

Post by Erica »

Sounds like a perfect way to watch a scary movie ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Merlin developed a cough the last few days, but otherwise seemed healthy (though was sticking his nose up at his dry food, but kept eating everything else). Took him to the vets and it turns out the poor boy has a throat infection and is now on three diff meds :(. No idea if this was related to his change in behaviour, but it can take a few days to incubate before developing a cough so perhaps he was feeling the beginings of a flu and being a man... :roll:

The vet said he shouldn't need to be kept away from other dogs or anything, which is a relief (we would both be going stir crazy!).
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Poor lad - I hope he's better soon.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Someone has it in for Merlin at the moment, he's now contracted a viral stomach upset. Two sleepless nights of us massaging his belly :cry:. Luckily his throat has fully cleared up...

The vet said bland food only, so we've been boiling chicken and rice. Unfortunately it seems Merlin hates rice. He is occassionally refusing food but we've managed to ensure he's drinking by mixing in leftover boiled chicken water, and he's still taking boiled chicken.

Does anyone know of a good way to get a dog to eat rice, that also keeps it bland and good for a poorly belly? Or even something other than rice that also helps? I have also heard of people giving their dogs 'gatorade' if they have a stomach upset to help with electrolytes. I've been contemplating giving him still Lucozade (UK version), so was wondering if anyone else has heard of / has followed this advice?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm not a vet, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting rice down him. If he's eating boiled chicken that's fine. You could try mushing it up and mixing it with mushed up chicken or the water from the boiled chicken, though.

I also wouldn't give him Lucozade. A doctor friend told me people in this country rarely get ill enough to need treatments like Dioralyte - it's largely just a marketing thing - and I suspect the same is true of dogs. If Merlin isn't dehydrated I don't think he'll need it. And they don't even recommend Lucozade for illness nowadays - they had to stop saying 'Lucozade aids recovery' because it doesn't!

A good dog probiotic might be a good idea though, even if he won't eat it till he's on the mend.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He loves his natural yoghurt so I don't think he'll mind having some probiotic foods once his stomach has recovered. I'll stick with the chicken only then, we've tried mashing the rice up and mixing already and he just refused the entire bowl. I'm sure he doesn't mind just chicken, best not get used to it! :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta also refuses plain rice when he's not feeling well. Boiled chicken only for him, and I make sure to remove most of the skin as the fat content of it might not help a poorly tum.

When he's feeling well, Del is fond of buttered and salted rice, though. Especially buttered.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Erica wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 pm Especially buttered.
butter is always good. dog after my own heart :lol: :lol: :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He got massively worse yesterday after being perfectly fine all weekend. He couldn't walk properly, was sleeping all day, was up at 3am because of his stomach hurting him. Took him to the vets that afternoon and apparently there is a nasty parasite type thing that is going around. Its new and its caught by basically being a scavenger (eating or drinking dirty things) and has a small chance of being passed dog to dog. Although he's up to date with his wormer, apparently this parasite slips through as its not really a worm, so he's being wormed again. At least, hopefully, this is it now and he'll be fine.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Poor Merlin :( What do they treat the parasite with? Do you know what it's called?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Its just Panacur, treatment lasting for 6 days though :cry: . He's also got some horrible tasting paste for his stomach upset.

Although he still has his stomach upset, he's alot brighter today so it seems to be working. Since he needs to be kept away from dogs I've not been able to take him to any parks for a run around, so instead we've been out jogging together. Both now thoroughly knackered!

My parents dogs have the same thing, and they've not made any improvement for a week or so. They're very old, small dogs so it is pretty worrying. Taking them back to their vets today and I'm going with them to mention the parasite, since their vet just thinks its a virus and has only tried treating the diarrhea. Apparently my partner's supervisor's dog has also been up all night throwing up and having diarrhea, so it seems to be an issue at the moment here in the West Midlands.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am My parents dogs have the same thing, and they've not made any improvement for a week or so. They're very old, small dogs so it is pretty worrying. Taking them back to their vets today and I'm going with them to mention the parasite, since their vet just thinks its a virus and has only tried treating the diarrhea. Apparently my partner's supervisor's dog has also been up all night throwing up and having diarrhea, so it seems to be an issue at the moment here in the West Midlands.
i read this entire paragraph missing the first "dog" so i thought your PARENTS had a parasite :oops: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Lol! Well my parents aren't keen on drinking dirty water and swallowing any food they find when they're out and about :lol: