kibble

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

kibble

Post by Shalista »

so this is the kibble i got bax to supplement his raw. how does it look? (he loves it btw, i got him two new puzzle toys while we were out and of COURSE he already has figured the first one out) https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... o-dog-food

Ingredients
Deboned Beef, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Potatoes, Natural Flavor, Potato Protein, Salmon Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Protein, Salmon, Inulin (from chicory root), Flaxseed Oil, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Gelatin, Salmon Oil (source of Omega-3 fatty acids), Salt, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product,, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 38.00 % Crude fat (min.) 15.00 % Crude fiber (max.) 3.50 % Moisture (max.) 11.00 % Omega-6 fatty acid (min.) 3.50 % Omega-3 fatty acid (min.) 0.35% Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (min.) 0.05% Glucosamine (min.) 800 mg/kg Chondroitin Sulfate (min.) 800 mg/kg Bacillus coagulans (min.) 90,000,000 cfu/lb.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: kibble

Post by JudyN »

Looks good to me :D

The Dog Food Advisor website has reviewed the Salmon variety as typical of the range, and given it 5 stars: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -dog-food/
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ah yes thats the website i was looking for! good to know my instincts weren't wrong when i picked this one!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

its going to take us a while to figure out amounts. i forsee him gaining a lil more pudge before i figure out raw/kibble ratios :roll: :wink:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Last edited by ZaraD on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Theres plenty good dry foods, but I find that you need to look elsewhere rather than the petshop shelves to get them.

Eden do dry and semi moist food which is great, and Millies Wolfheart do really well mixed and tailored dry food with exceptional customer service (about to swap my own dog over to MW). MW are free of almost all possible intolerance generating ingredients, with some coming free of white potato aswell.

Basically I've always heard that dry food can be bad because of the added ingredients / bad ingredients. Like grain, random additives, and crap quality meat and too low meat content, but there are plenty without those now.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:45 am Theres plenty good dry foods, but I find that you need to look elsewhere rather than the petshop shelves to get them.

Eden do dry and semi moist food which is great, and Millies Wolfheart do really well mixed and tailored dry food with exceptional customer service (about to swap my own dog over to MW). MW are free of almost all possible intolerance generating ingredients, with some coming free of white potato aswell.

Basically I've always heard that dry food can be bad because of the added ingredients / bad ingredients. Like grain, random additives, and crap quality meat and too low meat content, but there are plenty without those now.
Thanks I look into them tow , Millie's has been recommended by a lot of friends.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There are those who think that kibble was invented by evil corporations to harm pets, and that vets push kibble because they want your dog to get ill so they can make money out of you. As far as I know, there have been no long-term properly randomised controlled studies on the effects of kibble vs wet/raw diets. For a start, a person who feeds their dog an economy supermarket brand is likely to care for their dog's health generally in a different way to someone who feeds a grain-free kibble or raw diet.

If a kibble-fed dog falls ill, the raw-feeding evangelists will say it was because of their diet. If a raw-fed dog falls ill, either it was nothing to do with their diet, or was caused by the tiny bits of kibble the owner used as occasional treats. On the other hand, someone who says 'I fed my dog Bakers and he lived to 18' is the same as someone saying their grandad smoked and drank all his life and lived to 100. It's not science.

Zara, that's too many links to follow and read, and I am not an expert. I have picked up what knowledge I have had through reading & weighing the evidence (and observing Jasper's poos and condition :wink: ) and based on that I trust the All About Dog Food website. So if they're rated 5*, they're going to be good. I still believe that raw is better than kibble, but that doesn't make kibble bad - after all, hardly anyone eats a 'perfect' diet. And it's only my opinion.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 am There are those who think that kibble was invented by evil corporations to harm pets, and that vets push kibble because they want your dog to get ill so they can make money out of you. As far as I know, there have been no long-term properly randomised controlled studies on the effects of kibble vs wet/raw diets. For a start, a person who feeds their dog an economy supermarket brand is likely to care for their dog's health generally in a different way to someone who feeds a grain-free kibble or raw diet.

If a kibble-fed dog falls ill, the raw-feeding evangelists will say it was because of their diet. If a raw-fed dog falls ill, either it was nothing to do with their diet, or was caused by the tiny bits of kibble the owner used as occasional treats. On the other hand, someone who says 'I fed my dog Bakers and he lived to 18' is the same as someone saying their grandad smoked and drank all his life and lived to 100. It's not science.

Zara, that's too many links to follow and read, and I am not an expert. I have picked up what knowledge I have had through reading & weighing the evidence (and observing Jasper's poos and condition :wink: ) and based on that I trust the All About Dog Food website. So if they're rated 5*, they're going to be good. I still believe that raw is better than kibble, but that doesn't make kibble bad - after all, hardly anyone eats a 'perfect' diet. And it's only my opinion.
Thanks JudyN great advice as always. That's why I love this forum as soon as I have a problem ask and you get great advice and your mind at ease :D

From the tow I like the look of Eden http://edenpetfoods.com/products/dog-fo ... tripe.html

I would have like to feed raw but I'm allergic to meat so kibble is safest for me. I still want to feed like the next best thing to raw so a good grain free and other rubbish free kibble is the answer for my future dog. :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I fed my cat Eden (the cat variety, obviously :wink: ) for a while, before switching to another grain-free. The only reason I switched was because I could only get it in massive bags which he'd never get through before the quality deteriorated... and because he's so old that whenever I splashed out on the massive bag I wasn't sure if it would outlast him :lol: I agree, it's a great food.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am I fed my cat Eden (the cat variety, obviously :wink: ) for a while, before switching to another grain-free. The only reason I switched was because I could only get it in massive bags which he'd never get through before the quality deteriorated... and because he's so old that whenever I splashed out on the massive bag I wasn't sure if it would outlast him :lol: I agree, it's a great food.
Yeah I really like the look of it and I like how they list all the ingredients they use on a page

http://edenpetfoods.com/our-ingredients
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

The only issue with Eden is their rubbish customer service, and apparently some dogs just won't go for it at all despite it being good quality dry. A friend of mine did try to feed their dog on Eden before they went with raw, their dog just wouldn't eat Eden at all. Merlin also tried the duck & tripe semi moist Eden food and spat it out, and this is a dog who eats just about anything (including used condoms :roll:). However I've heard other dogs love it and thrive on it, so I would suggest if you have any way to swindle a sample pack I would try that first!

As Judy said raw vs dry is a heated and often bias debate. Raw feeding doesn't come without it supposed risks aswell there has been cases of Alabama Rot in the UK linked to raw feeding, and with some dogs raw food can be just too high value for them to relax while eating. I've chosen dry because of the value of raw food with Merlin, and that we have found free feeding (another heated debate!) made him hugely more relaxed around food in general which you can't do with raw. So don't feel bad about feeding dry, as long as it isn't pedigree or the like! :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:30 pmthere has been cases of Alabama Rot in the UK linked to raw feeding
This link was postulated, but no evidence was found for it and it is now pretty well discounted. The original outbreak of Alabama Rot inthe US was linked to poor hygiene around raw food in greyhound kennels, but the outbreaks of what is called Alabama Rot (because the symptoms match) in the UK don't fit this pattern: they are seasonal and more common in particular environments (wooded or semi-wooded), and no link has been found to any particular diet. So there's no need to let that put anyone off raw feeding.

Just for anyone else reading, it is also possible to raw feed a guardy dog. Jasper would guard pretty much any food, raw, kibble, human food, so feeding kibble wouldn't have reduced guarding. We just make sure he only has food he can eat in a few minutes (so no long-lasting bones or chews), and make sure he's left alone till it's all gone. Free feeding wouldn't be an option because he will never leave uneaten food unless he's ill, and when that happens he's very stressed because he thinks everyone else in the house is after it.

So yup - different things work for different people and different dogs :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Ah great the rot isnt connected to raw! I had also heard it came from woodland mud, so i make sure to wash Merlin after woody walks just in case. Horrible disease. Didnt help that a woman, after stroking my 11 week old puppy, told me in graphic detail how her uncles dog had just died from it. Just what a new puppy owner wants to hear!
popsicle

Post by popsicle »

JudyN wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 am There are those who think that kibble was invented by evil corporations to harm pets, and that vets push kibble because they want your dog to get ill so they can make money out of you.
In my experience vets tend to push the 'prescription' kibble when your dog is actually ill but some of that prescription stuff is pretty awful as well as expensive. I think it is due to lack of knowledge rather than evil intent. I actually home cooked for my last dog - it was tailored to her condition and probably a lot better than so called prescription food. It's getting better now but some vets used to throw up their hands in horror when you said you prepared your own food. My last vets didn't want to know beyond pills and potions and prescription food but my current vets are great and are knowledgeable about nutrition. I think that a lot of mystique and fear has built up around home prepared diets. I lived in Uganda for a while and still have friends there. They don't have the luxury of commercial dog food. So it's off to the village market for the cuts of meat we in the west so often discard. It's cooked up with all sorts of stuff and their dogs have always thrived. Which is just as well as they can't just nip down to the vets.
Unfortunately Ben is no barometer of what's good. He'll eat ANYTHING and he eats it fast. I've tried every slow feeder on the market, putting stones in bowls etc. I do occasionally give kibble but don't think it is particularly good for him as he just hoovers it up :(