No more raw?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

No more raw?

Post by Shalista »

I’m thinking of taking Bax off raw. He’s been getting so much junk food lately I don’t even see the point. I think it will be easier to give him kibble in treat dispensers so he can think about his food. I have a rolling ball dispenser and he loves it so I’ve been snapping his milkbones in half and filling it with them. But between milk bones all day and the snack just before I leave plus his dinner.... I mean he was over weight BEFORE all that. I don’t want to have a lil blimp on a stick. I guess I’m just frustrated and looking for guidance. Would it be worth my time to do PARTIALLY raw? Like half and half kibble and raw? Or does that make zero sense? Basically I’m looling for a way to make Bax work for his dinner and he just doesn’t work for the chicken. He enjoys it but he doesn’t work for it. Thought?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: No more raw?

Post by JudyN »

It's usually recommended that you don't mix kibble & raw but I've come across many who do and yet to hear of anyone having a problem.

You could just replace all of his less healthy treats with kibble? But seeing as he needs all the 'entertainment' he can get, feeding him a good-quality kibble as his main food could be the best option for him. For Bax, his mental health (along with not letting him turn into a blimp) has to be top priority.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I think that’s gonna be my game plan. Feed him a raw “breakfast” to keep him occupied as I leave the house and then a kibble dinner in a toy. Feeling a bit like a failure atm. I was so passionate about raw and here I am feeding him kibble :(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, I know raw feeders can be very evangelical about raw feeding, but it might not be the best solution for all dogs & owners, for any number of reasons.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:05 am I think that’s gonna be my game plan. Feed him a raw “breakfast” to keep him occupied as I leave the house and then a kibble dinner in a toy. Feeling a bit like a failure atm. I was so passionate about raw and here I am feeding him kibble :(

Your not a failure shalista you a fantastic dog owner and I'm sure Bax would be greatful that your asking these questions and thinking of him it show what a good dog owner you are and how much you love Bax :D

As for Raw I was the same I still would like to feed raw but was already allergic to some meats but now am allergic to more or less all meat so I'm on a vegetarian diet so Raw feeding my future dog is off the cards thanks to me sneezing and coming out in a rash every time I'm near meat especially raw meat but I'm fine around kibble? So will be feeding kibble too.
3spoiledpets

Post by 3spoiledpets »

A common saying about raw food is this: a little raw goes a long way, and feeding some raw is better than feeding none at all. This is especially true if the alternative is feeding all kibble to your dog: kibble is higher in carbohydrates, which contributes to weight gain and tartar and plaque. Feeding at least some raw will help to reduce this a little. Additionally, there are raw-coated kibbles that you could feed, or very high-end kibble brands such as Orijen and Zignature. Even if you are just feeding a little raw food, you are doing a great thing for your dog. :)