Eating egg

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Eating egg

Post by Shalista »

Do your dogs eat the shell? Whenever i give bax a raw egg he slurps out all the insides and then leaves it. then he comes back and crunches it a bit, then comes back again and blows it into a bajillion itsy bitsy white pieces all over my room. I'm wondering if i can take the shell after he's done slurping out the insides? If hes actually EATING some part of the shell for minerals or something id leave it but honestly i think he just enjoys chomping on it for that last little bit of egg flavor........ id be more inclined to give him lots of eggs if i didnt have to sweep the whole room every time :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Eating egg

Post by JudyN »

Jasper eats the shell of his quail eggs - though he'll swallow them whole if I don't crack them open first. The delicate flower finds hen egg shells a bit sharp (and the contents give him sulphorous wind) so he wasn't so keen on them. I think there are some health benefits - calcium, I guess - from eating the shells so you could collect the uneaten bits, pulverise them and use then as a 'crunchy topping' for his meals, maybe.

Alternatively, they're a good supplement for chickens too so if you don't give them to Bax there's no need for them to go to waste.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yea i might try the retrieve and pulverize method. its such a pain to sweep it up after hes blown it to the wind :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Quite a few dogs like to eat the shell, but not all. Raw bones are a more balanced way of feeding necessary minerals.

It's better only to feed a few eggs in a week. Egg gives them terrible wind, and being as he is in your bedroom...... :shock: Also some sources indicate that too many eggs - and how many is too many? can cause nutritional problems.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

oh good call nettle, and yeah as is he gets a single egg once every few weeks, i think giving him a few more shouldn't hurt =)