vomiting

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

vomiting

Post by Shalista »

Hey, i dont want to talk to my vet about this yet because he already doesn't like my raw feeding but.....

Bax has been vomiting a lot. he's been doing it maybe twice a day? or twice every other day? it's always just yellowy foamy bile with occasionally chunks of grass in it. he's been eating a lot of grass on walks to.

his energy is good.
his coat looks good.
his eyes are clear.
his appetite is fantastic as always.
he hasn't been peeing anymore but may be pooing slightly less.
I haven't noticed water consumption.
his poos have been soft but i've been slacking on giving him bone and the extra bone has brought them up to the right firmness.

Changes - i recently stopped giving him his veggies since I'd read they don't really do anything anyway. in the past id given them to him raw and whole so i'm not sure how much nutrients he got out of them anyway. he does occasionally get some veggies (some lettuce while i'm cooking, the back end of some asparagus)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: vomiting

Post by Erica »

Yellow foamy usually means "hunger pukes" to me. Veggies are often given to bulk out meals and have a dog feel fuller, so I would see if adding them back in helps him. The other option is feeding another meal each day so there's not as much time when his stomach is empty.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm not sure i want to give him anymore than he's eating, i used to follow the whole 2% rule.. then he was at 3... then 4..... and then i doubled it and hes still doing this. Id hate to give him veggies if hes not getting anything out of it, it'll just fake his stomach into being full, it's not really giving him any thing :?

(on the plus side since i DOUBLED his food he's actually put on a bit of weight... which if you recall was a serious problem for him a few months ago)
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

How many times a day to you feed him? You don't have to add more food, just break up what you give him into smaller, more frequent meals. (Assuming the vomiting is from hunger/empty stomach.)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

he eats once a day at 8. its not possible for me to feed him in the morning sadly =( I've tried (the story is told repeatedly on other threads)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ugh i'm being ridiculous. he gets me up in the middle of the night to potty anyway. if he gets me up in the middle of the night for breakfast to so be it.

that being said im concerned that hes going to walk it back.

example:
Bax gets fed at 8 every morning.
he starts whining at 5
i wake up at 5, throw his food down and go back to bed.
next night he assumes hes getting fed at 5 so he starts whining at 3.
feed him at 3.
he starts whining at 1.

he's done this before. he used to be fed breakfast and he walked his breakfast time all the way back to dinner. thoughts? I'm not going to ignore him for three hours. i need my sleep and BOY can this dog whine when he wants something. his usual pattern is to start whining about 3 hrs before he usually gets fed. during the day for his evening feed i can ignore him but i need my sleep.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is there a pattern to what times of day he vomits?

If you could give us your schedule of what times you're around to feed him (i.e. when you leave and when you get home) it might help us spot a good time to give him an extra snack (calories taken out of his main meal). Even a small biscuit at bedtime can prevent morning bile.

But if he's getting enough nutrition from his normal meat and the veggies stop him throwing up, I'd go back to giving him the veggies - feeling 'fake full' isn't a problem if it doesn't stop him eating the right amount of meat. Or you could lightly cook them to increase the chances of him benefiting from them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I explained earlier on the gut-cleansing properties of veggies. They ARE of benefit. If they weren't, dogs wouldn't graze or eat herbivore muck.

So give him his veggies again. If he stops vomiting within a few days, QED.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

veggies are coming back, im going shopping today. :wink:

And srry @Nettle i thought you meant cooked ones

As is Bax only gets food once a day at 8PM. he eats, we hang out for an hr, he goes to bed. He usually vomits in the evenings a couple hours before dinner. he doesn't get any snacks or treats other than the 8pm feeding. he always devours any food he can get like he's starving up to and including cleaning out the dishwasher when we're loading dishes for the night. but he is starting to finally fill out a little more. he does RARELY get an extra treat, occasionally I'll drop an egg for him or while we're making dinner he'll get the precooked veggie and meat scraps.

I don't know i guess I'm kind of weirded out. bax used to be eating way less food when he first switched to raw and he was pretty chubby, i remember putting him on a diet, and now he's eating like a horse and i can barely keep weight on him. i'm tempted to bring a stool sample to the vets for parasites? but he's starting to put weight on again (he's now eating an entire chicken breast for dinner) and I've been checking his poo and i haven't seen anything.... his coat is glossy, his temperament is stellar.....
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'd give him a snack before the time he usually vomits, if possible leaving it late enough that he doesn't associate the snack with you coming home from work. But then if reintroducing the veggies solves the problem, maybe there's no need.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I would try to limit how much grass he eats on walks.
Grass doesn't agree with Ari's stomach and leads to vomiting with chunks of grass too.
We are working on "No Grass!" command, with limited success, so it's mostly prevention for us.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah i alternate between no grass and letting him just eat it out tbh....... when he's on a grass kick he wont potty he just lunges and strains constantly for the slightest blade of grass. if i let him eat it out eventually he potties though.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm very much of the 'let them eat grass' camp. If they vomit, it's what they needed to do. Gross for us but necessary for them - like quite a lot of dog ownership! :lol:

Maybe Ari would like more veg to eat too - does he get much?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yeah.. vegetables he loves and gets.
The grass though - it doesn't seem that it even gets digested, and the vomiting seems painful for him, so my intent is to spare him the discomfort.
Is this misguided?
Could it be that his intent is to vomit? in which case I don't want to interfere..
Last edited by Ari_RR on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When Jasper eats grass it comes out the other end, which can occasionally cause problems - I won't go into details, but just think of a string of sausages :lol: