drying out tripe

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

drying out tripe

Post by danabanana »

I have some frozen tripe chunks I want to dry out and use for treats...

do I just defrost it, chop it up and stick it on a baking tray in the oven on a low heat for a hour or so?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

That should work
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

might be easier to cut if you leave it a bit frozen, but yep, that sounds spot on to me.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I am looking to try this as well - what temp would you say I should set the oven to? (I am not a cook by any means so "low heat" means very little to me!) :oops:
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

hrmm... under 200 f
I'd leave the door cracked a bit so that there's a bit of airflow (and you don't forget about them.)
you might be able to look online for jerky recipes and see where they recommend setting the oven.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Honestly..

Id feed the raw tripe raw, and go and buy dried tripe from somewhere that sells tripe sticks for dogglies... because...

If you put green tripe in the oven and leave the door open and have it warming up there nicely for the 2/3 hours that will probably take (from frozen).....

Your whole house, probably your entire neighbourhood, is going to REEK of tripe for the next 09820934823 years... and when i say reek.... boy, do i mean it! Tripe stinks and hot tripe stinks a million times worse.

There isnt the money in the world that would tempt me to do this and i actually dont mind the smell of raw tripe (it smells like what it is... partly digested veg... similar to cow or horse poop..)... and i realllllllllly dont recommend you do it! (Co-erce a friend or relative by all means, especially one you dont like so much....:lol:)
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

lol... I guess I'm used to stink...
My mom and I can fish... my family is chalk full of fisher people so we've got lots of tuna and salmon... stinky enough, but when we can sturgeon... bleeggghhh.... you have to add vinegar for whatever reason and lets just say your dog will roll on you for weeks.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Ehhhh.....maybe I'll just do liver. :P