Min Pin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Angus

Min Pin

Post by Angus »

Hi I am New to this forum I am a retired mechanic, I have a beautiful little female Min Pin she is one year old. the most intelligent dog I have owned, must be close to us all the time, she spends a lot of time sitting on my knee & she gets a bit upset when I have to go away & leave her with my wife . She has learned to talk & can say Hello. yum yum. when she eats things she likes & i love you. which she uses to to try and get her own way, It usually works. She has developed a problem with hair loss on her ears & getting a patch on her tail. we have had her to two vets & been treating her with PMP ear suspension for dogs & cats & have had her on Ketoconazole 100mg for a short time but have taken her of it because the side effects aren't good. We don't know where to go from here & was wondering if anyone out there has experienced problems like this with their dogs. Thank you.
JudyN

Re: Min Pin

Post by JudyN »

Hi Angus, and welcome to the forum :D I've popped your post into the Health, Diet & Exercise section where it should be seen by more people.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hello and welcome. Min Pins are great little dogs!

Has she had a full thyroid panel? The hair loss is not quite typical, but there are always variations. You will have to ask your vet for a full panel as normally they only do two tests.

Is she spayed? Sometimes hair loss is hormonal.

Are you in touch with her breeder? Breeders are the experts with many breed-typical conditions. I don't know if this is a feature of the breed.

Where is the patch on her tail? Many dogs have a scent gland on the top surface of the tail that can lose hair around it.

Is she crated at all? Might she be rubbing the hair off when in her crate?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Angus

Post by Angus »

Hi. Thanks for your reply's.I was interested when I read about the min pin that is nervous, we found that our's is a bit on the nervous side very highly strung.But a great little dog. She has been spayed & she could have a hormonal problem & might be worth looking into. She has never been crated & she has the run of the house, I guess you mean the hair loss could be due to rubbing from the crate. She hasn't had a thyroid check either which could be a good idea to have that checked. We have changed her diet as of today as she was eating a lot of chicken & veg we have gone to lamb & veg our vet said to keep her of raw meat but I will keep an open mind there & see what happens. I will keep you informed as to how we go in the next couple of months and see how she goes. thanks again.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Hi. I thought I should log in & let people know how Delta was going, We took her off chicken & all grains, That means she does not get many little treats when we are eating (no matter how much she says I love you,) we only give her little pieces of dry fish flavored dry cat food which she likes. She had lost a lot of fur on her chest, her ears were almost bald & she had lost the hair on top of her tail. We now feed her raw hormone free beef mince, Tuna, & sardines, & veg, as well as raw beef rib bones twice a week. She also has linseed oil & fish oil capsules. Now she has grown most of the hair back on her ears just the tips to go, her chest is all covered & her tail is covered again.We have been bathing he with Aloveen oatmeal shampoo & conditioner by dermcare. Makes her quite shiny she looks like a new dog much healthier now & cant stand still she is on the go all day, we are very relieved to have her back healthy & happy.
Thanks for all The advice that you all gave us it is much appreciated.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's great news - thank you for the update :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes - it's lovely to get an update, and such good news too :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Wonderful news :D (And neat to "meet" another person with a dog named Delta! :) )
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14