Home cooked meals!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bella'smom

Home cooked meals!

Post by bella'smom »

:D Hi! Do any of you feed your dogs home cooked meals? I'm now feeding my girls Innova EVO but am considering switching to home cooked meals. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
Touch a Bichon and you have touched a bit of Heaven! Hold a Bichon and you have held the World! Love a Bichon and you will love life forever!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Home prepared meals are a great alternative to purchasing dog food. In some cases you can even save money doing so.

The downside is that a home prepared diet takes work and commitment.

There is a homeopathic book from Dr Pitcarn that has some great recipes and guidence on how to prepare meals for your dog. A definite worthwhile book acquisition.
Bro. Dave, OBB

Re: Home cooked meals!

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

[quote="bella'smom"]:D Hi! Do any of you feed your dogs home cooked meals? I'm now feeding my girls Innova EVO but am considering switching to home cooked meals. Thoughts? Ideas?

I feed a home recipe type diet, but it's mostly fed raw, uncooked. It's wise to run veggies through a juicer or food processor to make a "glop" or puree of veggie. This makes the goodies in the veggies easier for the dog's digestive system to access. Be sure to include some organ meat (e.g. liver, kidney, etc) because they are high in nutrients.

There are different approaches to home recipe diets, both raw and cooked, and each has it's advocates. There are yahoo and google groups for these advocates. Some are inhabited by staunch "our way or the highway" advocates, some are more tolerant of variations, some even accepting of deviation from the accepted regimen. Probably the best of these lists for sharing and learning is the Raw-Lite yahoogroups.com list. Using the word kibble will not get you banned like it will on one or two of the other lists. There are even people there who feed a mixed kibble/raw diet.

I find the raw-lite group to be one of the best, if not the best, of the pet feeding groups that are out there. It won't hurt to look at these groups and maybe join one that looks interesting. The worst that can happen is that you'll decide to unsubscribe.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
bella'smom

Raw/Kibble Diet

Post by bella'smom »

Hi Dave! Thank you for your response! I am going to check into the Yahoo group you suggested! I have been feeding my girls Primal Raw in the morning & Innova EVO in the evening. I also supplement with some raw veggies!

Thanks again! :D

Joan, Lucy & Bella Mae

P.S. I LOVE Victoria, don't you?
Touch a Bichon and you have touched a bit of Heaven! Hold a Bichon and you have held the World! Love a Bichon and you will love life forever!
bella'smom

Raw/Kibble Diet

Post by bella'smom »

Hi Dave! Thank you for your response! I am going to check into the Yahoo group you suggested! I have been feeding my girls Primal Raw in the morning & Innova EVO in the evening. I also supplement with some raw veggies!

Joan, Lucy & Bella Mae

P.S. I LOVE Victoria, don't you?
bella'smom

Food

Post by bella'smom »

Hi Dave! :D Thank you for your response! I will check out the Yahoo group you recommended! I am now feeding my girls Primal Raw in the AM & Innova EVO in the evening, supplementing with raw veggies!

Joan, Lucy & Bella Mae
Bro. Dave, OBB

Post by Bro. Dave, OBB »

Thank you, Bella'sMom. Feel free to say I sent you if you join Raw lite. Be forewarned, though, they like pictures over there. They don't care if you're in them or not, as long as they're pictures of your dogs. :P
Bro. Dave, OBB
Green Bay Monastery
maxinesp

Home cooked food for dogs

Post by maxinesp »

I started cooking for my dogs 12 months ago after reading what "animal derivatives" was in dog food - ie. other dogs potentially! eughh. So every week now from the market I get big bags of chicken bits for approx £2.00, chicken hearts for 50p, mutton (although remove meat from bones) for 50p and cook it with brown rice and vegetables. I mix with wagg complete which doesnt list animal derivatives although I could be wrong, but basically my 4 dogs have healthier coats than ive ever seen before, food is never left, my recylcing has been drastically reduced because of less tins and im saving around £80 a month!! its worth the effort - just cook on a weekend and freeze in large portions and take out during the week.