De-worming and Flees/Ticks

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

De-worming and Flees/Ticks

Post by AliceGrimm »

I was wondering, how many times, when and how often, and until when do you de-worm a puppy?

I was also wondering when people do flee/tick things for their puppies. Like frontline plus? Or is there other options?
What do you recommend?
Shalista

Re: De-worming and Flees/Ticks

Post by Shalista »

Idk if it's good for puppies but I use a Seresto collar on Bax. It's great cause you just put it on him and then forget about fleas and ticks for six months.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I use Seresto too and it's suitable for puppies from 7 weeks according to their website.

Once they are adult you don't need to worm routinely - I send a poo sample off every few months for analysis and in the past 3-4 years he hasn't needed worming at all.

But I would ask your vet & breeder - schedules for woming may vary from country to country and depend on the medication used.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Thank you both so much! This helps a lot!

Is it bad if the puppy chews on that collar?
I dunno if the puppy will. I just want to make sure.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

The collar is the same design as a zip tie so you can tighten it to a size he cant chew on
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

According to the Seresto website:
A: Seresto® has been extensively tested for its safety, including pets chewing on the collar or ingesting the entire collar. As the vast majority of active ingredients are bound in the collar matrix and not on the surface, the only side effect recorded after ingesting a full collar was a mild stomach upset (e.g. loose stools), which was resolved within 24 hours.

To prevent your dog from chewing the collar again, you might want to reattach it slightly more tightly.
So though you'd certainly want to avoid it happening, there's no need to panic if it does :D I imagine you don't need to worry about fleas or ticks until pup has had their vaccinations and is ready to go out into the big wide world.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Well there is always potty training. lol

Thank you so very much for this information and for all the help.
It is still so far off, but yet there is so much that needs to be known.
Erica

Post by Erica »

With flea/tick collars, you'll want to make a few cuts spaced around the collar, about 50-75% of the way through it. This way, if the collar becomes caught on something, it will hopefully break apart instead of strangling the dog! Seresto collars are very popular here in the South as they seem to work quite well! I use Nexguard chewables for Delta, and they work just as well too. It seems most topical flea treatments are losing their effectiveness, so I would skip those.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Do the chews work for ticks as well? That is good to know. I like taking long walks in wooded areas.. It is very humid here. So I know I will need tick protection. I myself get worried about ticks. lol

The Seresto site says, "Designed for your dog. Seresto® small dog collar has a two-way release feature that allows them to get out of a tight spot." Does that mean it is like one of those snap collars that release when they get caught on things? Perhaps I still will make some cuts in it. If you as a person touch this collar, do you need to was your hands? I am still reading.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

nope, no need to wash hands after, though if you frequently bathe your dog with the collar on you'll need to get a new one sooner than every 6 months. and they come with a release in them, it's like a thinner piece of plastic in the collar that tears if they get stuck. (I'm not sure id trust it 100% though)