Upset stomach

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Upset stomach

Post by Shalista »

Bax goes through these phases where all he wants to do is eat grass. This used to happen MUCH more frequently when he was on kibble.

When i go to take him out he rushes for the grass and just frantically starts munching. it would be comical if it wasn't so upsetting. He will just eat grass for as long as i let him. If i try to pull him along he drags at the end of the leash snapping at blades of grass as he goes by. he will not stop and sniff, he will not potty, and for bax to not pee at least once when he goes outside you know something is wrong.

Once inside he whines and scratches at the door and occasionally barks. the oddest part is his stomach which audibly squelches and squeals.

Finally when i take him out for the hundredth time to try to coax a poop out, he'll stop and poop out what looks like nothing but water and grass. and he's fine.

Does anyone have any tips for hurrying this process along? he's clearly in discomfort if not outright pain, not the least because he's holding all that urine in that he won't pee out because he's to busy eating grass. Thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Upset stomach

Post by Erica »

Opal's not as frantic about it, but she's not a terrier - she sometimes gets similar phases. She won't want to eat much, her stomach will make LOUD noises (audible acriss the room over a loud explosion-y movie), and she chomps on grass. Our vet recommended a probiotic or digestive aid powder thing to add to her food when she gets like this, and it does seem to help her. If we notice she's starting to get to the beginning of this kind of cycle, we can even stop it. I can look at what exactly the powder is in the morning if you're interested. I think it's readily available, not perscription, but I might be wrong.

I would personally at least call my vet to talk with them in case there is something concerning about this issue. Vet gave Opal a good exam including bloodwork when we took her in for this (but she's counted as a senior and gets fairly regular bloodwork anyways, so it may have just been time for that).
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What's the hurry all the time? :wink: You ever had an upset stomach?

If you don't feed raw vegetables, he needs the grass. It does the job he needs. So either feed raw vegetables or let him self-medicate. This isn't something you or he can control.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think Shalista meant hurry the process along as in help his body recover faster so he's not in discomfort :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Haha yeah Erica, I'm not trying to hurry him along for human reasons, he just seems very uncomfortable about the whole affair.

My mom is a nut for probiotics (for humans, she makes her own Kefir)and she teased me that he needed some probiotics. i guess she wasn't wrong! If you could get me the name I'll totally order some. Getting some decent flora and fauna in the stomach cant hurt right?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ah, sorry Shalista!

Will he eat plain yoghurt? Not the calorie free fat free but the whole milk version. Would your Mother make some kefir for him?

Would he eat some thawed-out frozen peas?

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

He'd probably go for the yogurt, my mom would murder me if i fed him some of her precious kefir and normally id say no to the peas but if he's eating grass anyway he might go for a nibble?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Add the peas to his food bowl and see what he thinks. They are full of fibre so should help.

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Would that be a daily thing or just when he has an upset tummy?

(also barbarian confession: bax doesnt have a food bowl. he always took his raw stuff out and dragged it over to my nearest pile of clothes so i just have a towel down for him that he eats on that i wash VERY frequently)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't have a problem with towel feeding at all. It's pretty sensible. However, it's no way to feed peas :lol: so find a little container and put some down for him. If he eats them, then you don't have to feed them all the time, but once or twice a week should help.