Droncit

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzardito

Droncit

Post by Suzardito »

Has anyone ever experienced a serious illness with their dog after Droncit? My 2 year old beagle had hookworm, and our vet gave Droncit. About 4-5 hours later, the dog became restless, and his belly was flushed. After about 8 hours he vomited and began staggering then had blood vessels burst in his eyes, and he went blind. After vet care and 2 days rest, he regained his appetite, drank lots of water, and the blood in his eyes began to clot and clear so he can see a bit. After 4 days, he is nearly back to normal - eyes are clearing up and he can walk without bumping into things. Vet believes the reaction caused a blood pressure spike which made his blood vessels leak blood into his eyes.
He did have his ivermectin treatment 1 day before the Droncit, but my vet said he has never seen such a bad reaction to Droncit.
He is doing well now, thank God, but I am now afraid to give him any worm meds at all, since it nearly killed him.
JudyN

Re: Droncit

Post by JudyN »

Suzardito, I've split off your post into its own thread as the one it was posted in was about diatomaceous earth (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13836). I'm so glad your dog recovered.

I can't answer your question but wondered if your vet has suggested any alternative? I don't routinely worm my dog but get him screened every 3-6 months so I would only have to treat him if worms were identified. I don't know if there's a similar service in the US (I'm in the UK), and of course you may have a different range of parasites.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

This sounds like an allergic reaction. I would avoid praziquantel-containing products in the future, there are plenty of other dewormers available (and make sure he's on monthly heartworm and flea prevention to prevent future worm infections).
roycov

Post by roycov »

Try other dewormers in the future not all of them have the same components. Could be an allergic reaction or blood pressure spike, hard to tell since the symptoms are now gone.