why do dogs pace?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

why do dogs pace?

Post by katej215 »

Just wondered if anyone knew the answer to this? Is it a conformation thing? Is it habit? I've only heard of one other dog doing this, a different mix to Mostyn, but long backed and long legged like him...so maybe its more common than i realise ?

He definitely does it more on the lead, and seems to do it more when he is heading out on a walk rather than coming back, so maybe he's loosened up a bit? His dorsal spine really waggles back and forth , whereas when he is trotting properly his spine stays nice and straight.

I've only ever come across horses pacing before, when I was in Australia (my understanding was that they had been trained somehow :shock: to do this for buggy racing). Lovely and comfy to sit on out on the forest trails, but lethal around corners! :lol:

If anyone is wondering, by pacing I mean the animal moving at a trot but alternating left and right side legs as opposed to moving on a diagonal.
Nettle

Re: why do dogs pace?

Post by Nettle »

At a trot usually means an unsoundness - finding out where can mean a lot of detective work

At a walk can mean unsoundness but often means human is not walking at a comfortable speed for the dog. Pick up speed and see if he moves true when going faster

Commonly seen in overweight dogs. Pregnant bitches will pace when heavy.

Sometimes down to conformation.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Re: why do dogs pace?

Post by katej215 »

Hmm thanks Nettle :?

He does do it sometimes in a walk, but you're right, its only if we are going slow for some reason. I'm normally striding out though, which seems to suit his gait, unless he's being super keen, then he's ahead of me!!

I will pay close attention to him off lead, as it's something I've only really noticed on lead and mostly at a trotting pace. I see him do what appears to be a skip behind sometimes, which could be him changing from a pace trot into a trot trot. I do worry that the pace trotting isn't good for his back /hips, as there is a lot of waggling of his back end going on!

He has gone hopping lame for maybe a couple of minutes on 3 occasions since I've had him...it looks its coming from the elbow or shoulder ...which could be perhaps related or not... :?