applaws vs Raw

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

applaws vs Raw

Post by Theo400 »

Hi everyone

I have recently rescued my first rescue dog we have rescued a 1yr old black Labrador from a rescue my sister was helping at. as she got on very well with the lab and she wanted me to meet him and I fell in love. we have had him now for 2months and there is something that is bothering me and has done ever since we brought him home and my sister does not understand (I live with my sister). I am unsure of what we are feeding him, the lab rescue we got him from said that the owner brought his food in with him as he has been fed applaws ever since he was 9weeks old. however as I fed my last dog raw because of what I learnt about dry dog food I am worried that applaws is not a good food. at the moment we are feeding him applaws in the morning (we have halved his daily amount) and we are feeding him cooked meals in the evening as I follow the Paleo diet so its all healthy for him I just cook the food rather than give it him raw.

Monday
Morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ fish, veg, sweet potato

Tuesday
Morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ chicken, veg, pumpkin

Wednesday
morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ fish, veg, squash

Thursday
Morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ lamb, veg, sweet potato

Friday
morning/ applaws dry
evening/ salmon, veg, pumpkin

Saturday
morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ beef, veg, sweet potato

Sunday
Morning/ applaws dry
Evening/ Sunday roast

does this look ok and I wanted to see your thoughts on applaws, I now its not as good as raw but what do you think. here's the link so you can look at it http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... line-only)

buddy seems to enjoy his food and he his normal weight the vet has done a full health check when I first brought him home and said he was fine. but im just worried with what I read about dry dog food being bad for dogs.
delladooo

Re: applaws vs Raw

Post by delladooo »

I fed applaws before going raw. IMO it's a pretty good food. My boy did better one one of the flavours though (tha lamb one) and he did do well on it. I can't comment on a cooked diet because I've never looked into it but overall the diet doesn't look bad to my knowledge :)
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Delladooo

what made you decide to go raw and not feed applaws anymore?

thank you for your reply. :)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I was always hoping to go raw (it was convincing my mum). The bonus for me is that with two freezers and buying in bulk it works out cheaper to feed raw :)
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Delladooo

thanks for your reply. applaws is not much difference in cost to raw but I still prefer raw and I have goggled applaws and found a few people who are saying that the company have changed the food and that there dogs are getting runny poo's and itchy skin so I have decided to go raw. I will introduce him slowly.

I have been looking at my old posts on raw when I switched Theo to raw to help me make a meal plan for him when I switch buddy over to raw. just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Monday
Morning/Minced Pheasant (40% bone) with chopped apple
Evening/ haddock, mashed veg, sweet potato

Tuesday
Morning/Duck Necks with ground eggshell and raspberries
Evening/chicken with veg, pumpkin

Wednesday
Morning/Minced Beef and tripe with berries (blueberries and raspberries)
Evening/Sardines with veg

Thursday
Morning/ minced chicken carcass (bone 40%)
Evening/ Lamb with veg and butternut squash

Friday
Morning/minced game (15% bone) with egg
Evening/ salmon with veg and sweet potato

Saturday
Morning/minced Venison with blueberries
Evening/ beef with veg and pumpkin

Sunday
Morning/ minced Lamb Tripe with egg
Evening/ Sunday roast

I would feed liver in all the morning meals except the ones with egg and I would feed around 1-5% depending on how his poo comes out. its been a while since I fed raw dose this look ok for when he is 100% switched over to raw? all meats are sourced from Manifold Valley Meats.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I would aim to include a few other sources of offal - Manifold do mixes with kidney, heart (not strictly offal, but often included as such), lung and 'offal'. Otherwise it looks fine. Later you could experiment with different varieties - they have a lot of choice on their website.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I don't know about changing the formula, we've been raw now for over a year :D

I agree with Judy, I'd look into more varied offal. I can't comment on the fruit and veg because I don't include it as part of the diet - I give greens as extras. I currently feed MVM, I only buy boneless meat minces and add my own bone and offal. I can say, if your dog is a bit of a texture sensitive eater, the venison is very sticky - Laufey will eat it but MiMi doesn't get on with the texture. My last order was for a case (24 chubbs) of beef and a case of lamb, 1kg of duck necks, and 1kg of poultry feet, I then got pork, chicken and duck from the supermarket (current prices making it cheaper per kg) and I have some free tripe in the freezer, it's going to last me well over 3 months :mrgreen: