Raw feeding... but high grain?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Raw feeding... but high grain?

Post by Shalista »

I'd say this is a question for my vet but frankly I don't trust him. That being said I do have a question about raw feeding. I've noticed alot of you chose to feed raw and while this isn't an option for me and Bax right now it is something I'm looking in to for the future. My question is this:

Bax is currently on a very high fiber diet because he gets loose stool. He started out on a high meat, high quality food when i first got him and he had bloody and loose stool consistently. we put him on a high grain food (still high quality) and some of his symptoms subsided. Now he's on a high grain prescription high fiber diet and everything's great. Would raw feeding be right out for us? What would our options be if we wanted to try to do it?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Raw feeding... but high grain?

Post by Nettle »

I'm not a vet, but to me it makes sense to give his bowel plenty of time to heal, and as he is fine on his current food, not to be in a hurry to change it.

When you are ready to try raw, remember there are no grains in raw feeding and that roughage is provided by vegetable cellulose :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

For what it's worth, Jasper had loose stools on every kibble we tried, including high meat ones, and switching to raw fixed the problem. But we never tried a high-fibre food - he produced such a lot of poo, and logic would suggest that a high fibre food would make him poo even more. So I'd say that raw might well suit Bax if you did decided to try it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Similar story to Judy. Dottie has irritable bowel symptom (our previous vet called it fiber reactive colitis). Pudding poo no matter what we put her on. Even adding fiber to her diet only helped marginably, if at all. But when we switched to Prey Model Diet (raw, but no veggies except as treats) her poo got much better. She needed a bit more bone than Annie did, but that was definitely the ticket.

Unfortunately, the price of beef and other red meats has risen to the point of being prohibitive, and we are hard pressed to find any pork that hasn't been injected with sodium.... so we had to switch to kibble. We found that the sweet potato based kibble was really good for Dottie's stool. Rice not so good. Recently Mr. Fundog went grocery shopping without me and picked up the wrong kind of food-- a rice formula. Since we live 50 miles from where we do our shopping, we will just have to ride this out. :(
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Since we live 50 miles from where we do our shopping, we will just have to ride this out.
Ow.... my condolences

Yeah I'd definitely have to do more homework before I switched I just was curious if it was possible at all.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13