Food Adversion and raw feeding

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

irismom

Food Adversion and raw feeding

Post by irismom »

I have a 9 month old Shar Pei who I am raw feeding. This is our 3rd go at raw and so far this time she has been on it a month or so I think. We have 2 problems one concerns me much more than the other. My first problem is that she does not like bones of any kind. Raw or otherwise. So I have done various mixes with bone in them for bone content. My next problem and most concerning is, she seems to have developed what I am calling a food adversion. I'll be in the kitchen getting her food ready and she will be hiding around the corner!! When I am done and put it on the floor she turns around and runs. I don't know what to do. I have a very small apartment and most of it is carpeted. It was suggested I take her to a trainer but I live on 50% income and cannot afford one. Any help would be most appreciated!!
JudyN

Re: Food Adversion and raw feeding

Post by JudyN »

Is she the same with all food, or just raw food?

Also, could you give us a lot more detail about her, please, so the experts can try to pinpoint the cause of her anxiety? e.g.:

- How long have you had her for, what do you know of her life before?
- Has she been neutered?
- Does she show anxiety in any other circumstances? Is she generally sensitive or confident in other areas of her life?
- Please detail any other 'issues' she may have.
- Has she ever been punished in any way, particularly round food?
- Has she ever had any scary experiences, particularly around food?
- What sort of training have you done with her, and is it all reward based?
- Please give a full run-down of her normal day, including feeding times, walks, training, play, and so on.

Don't be afraid of giving a long, detailed answer - something that may seem trivial and unconnected to her feeding could give a clue that could lead to a solution.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009