Puppy Training treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tark

Puppy Training treats

Post by Tark »

I have a few different types and makes of puppy training treats but they all seem very hard in texture. The dog likes to smell and lick them but when you reward him with one it's not long before he drops it on the floor and forgets about it. What should I be doing to make him know that he gets to sniff it and lick it a little before he has done what he has been asked and then can finish it off as his reward for completing the task.

At the moment I am not sure he actually understands but then again he is only 8 weeks old! Am I starting too young or is there any other treats that are soft and tasty? I am thinking about getting some chicken and paoching it and making small cubes or strips.

Just trying to get him to really enjoy going to the toilet outside and want to treat him when he does rather than in the house. Also trying to set some basic commands like "Come" and "Sit".

Thanks,
Mark.
Buster the Border Terrier
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

cheese is good cause you can break it into smaller bits for training, its got a bit of a smell to it and it's soft
the chicken is a good choice also. you can also dice cold wieners/hotdogs/franks up into little nibbles (about the size of your fingernail is good)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
monib1969

Post by monib1969 »

OH yes, I use hotdogs, the dogs and puppies LOVE them!!! But make sure they are small so you don't end up feeding your dog a meal with them. Also if you train on an empty stomach, the dog not you lol, he'll be more motivated to get the treats.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Also vary the type of treat. Think about it - if I offered you a piece of liquorice (assuming you like it) the first would be great but after three or four you wouldn't be so keen. If the dog isn't sure which it will be this time - cheese, hotdog, liver - it will be keener to do what you want and so find out.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
m8r5k

Treats

Post by m8r5k »

My dog needs serious distraction when I am I trying to socialize him. I found the thing that works best is small boiled pieces of chicken and/or tiny chunks of cheese. Cheese can give them diarrhea though, so not too much.
Is a dogs life worth my own? I wish I knew.
m8r5k

Treats

Post by m8r5k »

My dog needs serious distraction when I am I trying to socialize him. I found the thing that works best is small boiled pieces of chicken and/or tiny chunks of cheese. Cheese can give them diarrhea though, so not too much.
Is a dogs life worth my own? I wish I knew.
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I use chicken franks, cheese and Natural Balance rollover, I mix all 3 together ,so they never know which they are getting. I only use these when I am training.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Huckleberry

Re: Treats

Post by Huckleberry »

m8r5k wrote:My dog needs serious distraction when I am I trying to socialize him. I found the thing that works best is small boiled pieces of chicken and/or tiny chunks of cheese. Cheese can give them diarrhea though, so not too much.

You need to go to Cleanrun.com and get the Control Unleashed book by Leslie McDevitt, it is PERFECT for a dog that is distracted, shy or timid.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
m8r5k

Thanks huckleberry

Post by m8r5k »

I see they have that my library. I put it on hold. Thanks for the great advice.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

A healthy treat is apples or carrots. But don't give apple seeds. These can be poisonis to dogs
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I use meat, chicken, hot dogs or even cold cuts. IMO meat is healthier for a dog than fruits and veggies but in any case you should be more concerned with finding something your dog LIKES and is willing to work for.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I don't think that any puppy is to young to start training keeping in mind that they have a next to nothing attention span. I started my puppies by giving a verbal command when they did something naturally. I would watch for them to sit, as they did I said "sit", if they lay down, I said "down" they had no clue what I wanted them to do. Same with "shake" not shake a paw but shake of the body. End result they connected the act with the command. The shake command came out of living in a State with huge amounts of rain, I would have them wait at the door and give the command shake, off came water on the coat and dirt off the bottom of paws. I used hand sign at the same time, why not, they didn't know the diffence. Todate, Maia knows 32 different Standard sign language signs, my granddaughter is deaf and if she could learn sign, so could Maia. Some of you might say "oh yeah, right" but its true. See it, speak it, sign it all at the same time.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
vanheerden100

Post by vanheerden100 »

I have put on another thread about making your own pilchard and liver cake, they go mental for it, and it is soft and chewy and it can be made whatever size you want.

The advantages that i like is that there is no preservatives or colours that are bad for them, and it is dirt cheap to make a huge quantity. I have a dog thta has a very sensitive tummy and these are no problem!