Low purine diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Low purine diet

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Everyone

with me getting a new Dalmatian puppy soon (she comes home on the 3rd of June) I am doing so research into there diet needs, as I know that crystals can form easily in them because of a condition they get and as it is caused because they can not process purines properly I was wondering whether I should just feed her a low purine diet to begin with to avoid her forming the crystals. her breeder has said that not all dal's suffer from it and mom and dad don't but any dal can suffer from it so was wondering when I bring her home should I just feed her a low purine diet so I avoid her getting it as I have read online that if fed a low purine diet it lowers the risk?

should I feed her a low purine diet to begin with? or should I wait until she is off puppy food and on adult food and then switch her to a low purine diet when she has done her growing?

Many thanks
Sarah and Theo :D
Nettle

Re: Low purine diet

Post by Nettle »

Go with what your breeder says. Puppies need as varied a diet as possible beccause they are growing so fast. Feed the way your breeder feeds - she sounds as if she knows her stuff.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If in the future you're interested in joining the growing band of raw feeders, then Nutriment do a low purine raw food: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutriment-Natur ... B00FM1VXUS But your breeder is the expert so as Nettle says, be guided by her.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Be cautious when raw feeding - meats and organs tend to be higher in proteins and thus more apt to produce urate crystals and stones in dalmatians. Also be cautious if you choose the prescription diet route as many of these are not appropriate diets for puppies.

Good news is you chose the right gender. "Urate uroliths are rare in female Dalmatians (3%of 9095 urate urolith forming Dalmatians). Therefore, urate prevention in female Dalmatians without a history of uroliths is probably not needed." This is from the Minnesota Urolith Center at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine (the bladder stone gurus in the USA). I've included their informational document.

http://www.cvm.umn.edu/depts/minnesotau ... 107727.pdf