Pancreatitis

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolineLovesDogs

Pancreatitis

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

We have a miniature dachshund that was diagnosed by the vet with "a moderate case of pancreatitis" (in vet's words) several days ago as she had been vomiting a lot. We're feeding her a bland diet now and she's on an antibiotic but is still puking a lot and not always eating enough (has lost some weight), plus sometimes she shakes and I think she's in a good deal of abdominal discomfort (she's been to the vet twice though so it's not like she's going to die).
My question is, how will this affect the rest of her life (if at all). I've been reading up on pancreatitis in dogs on the internet and have seen in several places that your dog will probably have problems for the rest of their associated with it, that they will need a bland diet their whole life, and that if they have had pancreatitis once they will likely have it again. This is really worrisome to me- the vet did not indicate that this would likely be a lifelong problem. Again, he called it a "moderate" case, so I'm wondering if that means it won't be as severe- once she gets over it now, it's over- is that it? I hope so! Hopefully she can recover and live a normal life after this!
Thanks for reading! To recap, will our dog likely have long term problems due to pancreatitis?
Nettle

Re: Pancreatitis

Post by Nettle »

Depends on the underlying cause. I'd be in a hurry to find that out. Is this a diagnosis based on tests or an opinion? Have you been offered treatment options apart from antibiotics?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS